Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caribbeancupcake

Cassia javanica slow to exhibit new growth ?

Alyce Venice
14 years ago

Dear Experts,

I purchased a large cassia javanica and had my helper plant it on the hillside.I didn't personally look into the hole but had him dig the hole 1 1/2 times the size of the pot. It has been very slow to develop new leaves and while it is not dead it doesn't seem to have established enough new roots to show growth. It has been in the ground for three months. I am wondering if it is on a rock? This is a twenty foot tree with a large root ball. It was $275 to purchase, a real investment tree.Shouldn't I see some action by now? I am wondering if we should dig it up inspect the hole and try a new location. All advice appreciated.

Comments (4)

• venezuela
    14 years ago

Yes I would say that in the tropics the tree should be responding by now, so several questions comeinto my head. Was this field grown and dug? If so was it pruned back? Was it already balled up when you purchased it? the rainy season will soon be upon the area and plants usually take off when they arrive. The roots should be growing out so that when the rains hit the tree will leaf out quickly. If you do not see actual dieback on the branches then you are probably ok.

• doooglas
    14 years ago

Never prune a Javonica, it sometimes kills them... AND You were ripped off. Javanica in a 25 gallon is about $100 in Miami.About $25 here in Costa Rica.
    Freund has them as well as Ernesto's, Botanics, Richard Lyons and others.
    If it is to live it should erupt with growth. They are pretty fast. Like a Delonix or an Enterolobium.
    Grab some seed off the net and grow it. It'll do 3 meters a year down there.

• gusolie
    14 years ago

doooglas, do you usually kick people when they are down?

This was a 20' tree, not a 6' in a 25# pot. Plus, we are talking the small island of St. Johns. I'm sure there aren't as many nurseries growing plants like the acres of illegals and nurseries in Homestead.

• Alyce Venice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement. I will let it be for another month.We have had alot of rain over 11 inches and I have faithfully watered the tree. Everything is growing by leaps and bounds except this tree. It isn't dead but just really slow to catch.
    As to the cost of the tree we call it "paradise tax" on St John.
    There are two nurseries on St John but they don't grow anything. Everything is brought in as the price of land is so expensive a nurseryman couldn't afford to use the space needed to grow their own plants. In addition there is no water except what is collected by rainfall in our cisterns.
    I don't know of any other person of St John who has a Jacaranda even though they are common and flourish elsewhere.I took no offense just another reality but I feel very very blessed to live where I can garden 365 days a year
    and in such a beautiful place.