Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

Your favorite tropical book that you always go back to?

Gardener972
17 years ago

What's your favorite tropcal book with a lot of good, color photos and landscaping ideas?

Comments (15)

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

I don't know about landscaping ideas, but if you want LOTS of color photos, Tropica is still the bible (even though it could use some updating).

Another I use a lot these days is Plants for Tropical Landscapes by Fred Rauch and Paul Weissich. It was written for Hawaii, but would probably apply to most tropical regions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824820347/104-6375292-9360712?v=glance&n=283155

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica

• bahia
    17 years ago

I like Robert Riffle's book, The Tropical Look, even though it is perhaps less appropriate for the west coast than the gulf coast and Florida. The two volume set, Indoor and Greenhouse Plants by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix is more useful for California, in my view. For tropical design, Asian style: Tropical Architecture and Interiors, Tan Hock Beng, Tropical Garden Design, Made Wijaya, Balinese Gardens, William Warren,Tropical Asian Style, Luca Invernizzi Tettoni. For tropical design, mexican and brazilian style, Roberto Burle Marx, A Portrait, by Laurence Fleming, The Gardens of Roberto Burle Marx, Sima Eliovson, Paraiso Mexicano, Marie-Pierre Colle, and Mexico, Houses of the Pacific, Marie-Pierre Colle.

Another book I would highly recommend if you love the flora of Mexico, with its blend of wet and dry tropical vegetation, it Diversidad de Flora Mexicana, Rodolfo Dirzo, (only in spanish). This is one of my favorite books to recall landscapes I have seen in Mexico...

• gonzer_gw
    17 years ago

My tag team of Exotica and Tropica.
    For ideas? Robinson Crusoe! ;-P

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Maybe I should just go ahead and get myself one.

{{gwi:9487}}

• fouquieria
    17 years ago

You know, I bought Tropica when it first came out. That is still the fist one I refer to before I go on to any other book (if I need to).

-Ron-

• Dick_Sonia
    17 years ago

"Subtropical Gardening" by Walker and Hanly is the one I keep coming back to. Capturing broad garden vistas in a book-sized format is difficult to do, much more difficult than framing an individual plant for a close-up.
    Subtropical Gardening has a lot of these panoramic shots of landscapes and that's why I really like it. Too often, gardening books rely on photographs taken by the authors of the text...who tend to shy away from composing such shots. Subtropical Gardening used a professional (Gil Hanly) and it shows. It's also a very affordable and easily digestible book. Despite the title, most of the ideas are equally appropriate for tropical gardens as well.

• dilbert
    17 years ago

I contributed photos to Tropica. On page 668, there is a picture of my father next to Ensete 'Montbellardii.'

• beachplant
    17 years ago

dilbert I'll look for your dad tonight!
    I use Tropica and Hortica for the most part. I think I'm the only one at work that has ever opened either one. Should have just stolen that copy but did find one on E-bay for a decent price, Plant Delights catalog.
    Tally HO!

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Went and got the book off the shelf. Too cool! I guess this makes you famous huh?
    Forgot about Exotica, another great reference from the same time period. Also by Graf.
    Tally HO!

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've gotten most of these books now through interlibrary loans. I'm going to ask our local library to order some of the best ones.

• sojay
    17 years ago

I followed some of the advice on this thread and got 'Subtropical Gardening' and 'Tropical Garden Design'. The first one I find rather so-so, the second, I couldn't put down - swallowed it raw! I am now a huge fan of Made Wijaya's!!!

• blulagoon
    17 years ago

Mine are as follows.
    Balinese Gardens-William Warren
    The Tropical Look-Robert Riffle
    Tropical Plants for Home and Garden-William Warren
    Tropical Paradise-Tan Hock Beng
    The Tropical Garden-William Warren
    And to a lesser extent Landscaping with Tropical Plants-Monica Moran Brandies
    Tropical Houses by Tim Street-Porter, while primarily about houses has some pictures of some beautiful tropical gardens.

• nsboyd1210
    17 years ago

Edwin Menninger wrote several books on Tropical/Subtropical flowering trees; my favorites being "Flowering Trees Of The World" and "What Flowering Tree Is That". Flowering trees was his passion and writing (for the Stuart, FL newspaper)was his profession. He combined the two and produced some wonderful books.

Nelson

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to bring this back up and see if there are any new books that you all have.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler