Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kanap Trees

Posted by joanie_pomseed (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 19:09

Does anyone know where to find information about kanap trees? I've tried lots of search engines, but I've found nothing. Is there another name (or spelling) I should be searching for?

This started because someone I know said he has a kanap tree that's never flowered. Is it possible that the tree is a sterile hybrid of two related species? (Maybe that should go on the Botany forum.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kanap Trees

Could the tree you are referring to be a Kapok Tree?

o

Is it possible the tree is the Mamoncillo also know as the genip, we had several in our yard and one was a "male" and it never did bear fruit. here is a link with more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoncillo

Hope this helped

o

Thank you. I've confirmed that it is a mamoncillo tree, also called a kenp tree. I guess 'kanap' is an Anglicized form. Still no clue as to why it's never flowered (though I've found at least one report of a much older mamoncillo that has never flowered), but now I know where to look.

Were your trees in Zone 8, or have you moved since then?

o

Sorry so long getting back to you. The location is in the southern Bahamas. The last hurricane thru there took out the "Man" tree but the females are still going strong and bearing well. The parrots just love the fruit. But they have stiff competion from my wife and I. I know of no way to tell the difference in the male and female other than if they bear fruit. Good luck.

Seawolves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here