Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krok_gw

Transplanted wax jambu not doing well

krok
12 years ago

hello everyone,

I recently received a red wax jambu from plantogram last Wed. It sustained some damage during shipment and about a foot of the top growth was broken off, nonetheless it seemed fine. I was leaving it outside during the day in cloudy/rainy/mild weather with very light periods of sun, temps around 60's and bringing it in at night since temps were low 40's. Again it was fine. On Sunday I decided to transplant it. The container it came in was split down the side from shipping and the soil was very dense and wet with a sickly sweet smell that I couldn't stand. I transplanted it into the 5-1-1 mix in a very slightly larger pot with dolomite lime to neutralize the ph and did no root pruning as the root ball was pretty small. I watered it well but did not fertilize. It seemed fine for the rest of that evening and the next morning. Before I left for work that morning I asked my husband to move it outside when he got up later that morning as he was home that day. He told me he eventually moved it outside around 1pm. That day was bright and sunny with temp at 71 (first nice day we've had in weeks). When I got home that evening I noticed that the jambu was not doing so well. My husband put it out in the sun when I told him the day before it needed to be in the shade for the next few days to make sure it transplanted ok. The leaves had wilted (they were drooping and soft) and some of them had turned light brown on portions of the underside. Today it was kept in the shade all day (it was another nice day) but the leaves look even worse (even more wilted and some are curling under). I don't know what to do. It looks like it is dying. Is it transplant shock? Was it the sun? Will it recover? I can post pics if need be. I am an avid gardener and grow a lot of things but this is my first attempt with tropical fruit and I am so worried!! Is there anything I can do to help it? Thanks!

Comments (3)