Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trigger_y2000

Desert Rose

trigger_y2000
18 years ago

I have a desert rose that I have had for approximately 3 years.It is pot planted indoors with full sun.It is about 2 ft tall.My problem is it has never flowered.What can I do. Thanks

Comments (29)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Is it still growing? Are you giving it water once a week and fertilizer once every other month? Is it in a fast draining soil? Does it get buds that just don't open?

These are in the ground, zone 10, afternoon sun.

{{gwi:1309325}}

• ompus
    18 years ago

I notice you're in Michigan. What are the growing temperatures like?

• Clare_CA
    18 years ago

I agree: lots of heat and fertilizer should do the trick.

Fawn, your plant is amazing. Do you prune yours? If so, when and by how much? Thanks!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Clare - I hack them back when they're not in bloom. All the cuttings go in the mist bed and I take them to swaps or use them on jobs. There's are 7 in the ground in our garden, the tallest at just over 3'.

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

You say "indoors in full sun". Unless you're talking about the inside of a greenhouse, that's like saying "bone dry in the pouring rain." These things like LOTS of sunlight. Even the sunniest window location is equivalent to underneath a tree outdoors, simply because there's a roof overhead. You might be able to help it out with a grow lamp.

• Cat_Gal
    18 years ago

Ricky, that is one fabulous plant! Wow! From a glance, it reminds me of an azalea bush (for some reason).

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

Hi trigger y2000 from a desert rose grower in Port Huron , MI . I put mine on my back porch for the summer and it got several hours of direct sun there and loved the heat and the sun. In late summer early fall it was forming some small buds after having it about a year, from a fairly young plant. Unfortunately it didn't like the move into lower light and within a week dropped the new buds forming.
    To my surprise in a full sun southern exposure in a window location that would get cool at night, the biggest shoot formed new buds and they flowered within a month. I was thrilled , since I'd expected it might be one of those "finicky" growers. I'm hoping it will set buds a little earlier this comming summer, so I can get new blooms in less than a year. I kept it well watered all summer and fed it a couple of times. I think unlike some succulents, they appreciate the extra moisture if they're in a quick draining potting mix and they grow quite fast through the summer. I just cut off the longest shoot, to even up the height a bit as mine has numerous stems of different heights, and most I've seen have stems roughly the same height. I guess they can be sensitive to overfeeding however , so you might take it easy with that , and good luck fellow Michigander!!! I only paid $7 for that small desert rose at Lowe's and the caudex has doubled in size since I bought it.

• siegel2
    18 years ago

Here`s a couple I got from Thailand, including one that has variegated leaves.

{{gwi:597700}}

• Clare_CA
    18 years ago

Thank you, Fawn. You've got a fantastic color combination in those flowers. I've been told to cut mine back for more flower production, but I just can't seem to bring myself to cut the beautiful long stems.

Gary, those are lovely. I just got 'Noble Concubine' and 'Harry Potter' from Thailand as well.

Trigger, I set up a temporary greenhouse this past winter and kept a heater and a grow light on at night, and the adeniums thrived in there. They seemed to love the intense daytime heat and the humidity that the greenhouse offered. I even had some seedlings bloom inside in the winter. If you can create a greenhouse atmosphere for them, I think you will encourage blooms.

Fawn, here is my big one below. Would you recommend pruning?

{{gwi:1309331}}

Here too are my seedlings blooming inside the greenhouse this past winter:

{{gwi:1309333}}

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Claire - wait until the flowers stop and then start hacking. If you've got a mist bed, put all the cuttings in some good quality cactus soil and root 'em up!

• Clare_CA
    18 years ago

Thanks, Fawn. One last question then I will stop bugging you. How far would you cut on the big one? Thanks in advance for your help.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Cut it as short as you like, it will branch at and below the cut. So decide what you want the plant to look like after the new growth has completed.

• Clare_CA
    18 years ago

Thanks so much, Fawn, for your help. I was brave and chopped it this morning. I will root the cuttings also.

{{gwi:1309335}}

Your plant is really amazing. The flowers are just stunning.

• MEL_TN
    18 years ago

Really beautiful photos and lovely plants. Would love to find the verigated adenium. Does anyone have a source they could share?

I have a desert rose that is 8 years old and it blooms in spring and fall. It stays in the greenhouse all winter and I hold back on watering and the plant goes semi-dormant. I have it in full sun through the summer and it will often put on more flushes of blooms. Seeing this post, I am working on the courage to cut it back as Clare did. The thought of it is not easy but it makes perfect sense.

• beachplant
    18 years ago

I'm going home and stick mine out in the garden. One is on the backdeck so I'll leave it there. No wonder they like us here, lots of heat and if the humidity falls below 80% we get all excited! Static electricity! We all run around shocking each other like little kids. Tally HO!

• siegel2
    18 years ago

Here`s a place that sells variegated Desert Rose plants.

The plants are only about $2.50 each, BUT they have a $100.00 minimun order requirement and then you have to pay for shipping from Thailand ( figure on sending about $80. or $90. for express shipping).

Here is a link that might be useful: Heliconia Paradise

• MEL_TN
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. There is nothing cheap about importing plants. Do you have to send the APHIS import cupons?

• Love4Gardening
    18 years ago

I've heard from my Uncle that the Desert Rose cannot be grown from cuttings. Is this true? I have one that's about 2 feet and I'm goin to cut it back and if possible I would like to try rooting the top part that I cut.
    Also i would like to plant mine in the ground I currently have it in a gallon size pot. Any suggestions? Thanks

• torontonian
    18 years ago

I live in Toronto Canada... Yeah yeah not a likely place to see a Desert Rose I know ;)

I have one that is about 2.5 - 3' high and is doing very well it appears. I have some yellowing leaves that I believe is because of over-watering from the threads I have read. I generally water it once a week and moisten the soil. I'll water it a bit less and see what happens.

The average temperature is anywhere from 20 - 30 degrees C (68-86F)
    Q: Is this ok?

The average humidity is ranges from 40-50%.

The plant faces a large south window and in summer receives about 8 hours of direct sunlight a day. In fall / winter about 6 hours.

The soil doesn't have much sand in it and has gravel / wood chips in the bottom of the pot for drainage.
    Q: Any suggestions on a potting mix proportion?

I fertilize it with a water soluble 20-20-20 fertilzer about once a month.
    Q: Should I switch to every other month?

Leaves grow like crazy on it and branches are growing 1/2" -1" a month on average.

When leaves get too yellow or brown and dry up, I cut them off.

I have not pruned it (purposely... there was an incident with another falling plant however).

2 questions...

1. Should the foot be growing along with the branches? How fast / slow proportionately should it be growing?

2. Anyone have any tips for how to get it to bloom? I've had it for over a year now and it's been going crazy with leaves and branches, however I haven't seen a bloom out of it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• new_yorker
    17 years ago

Hi Im New to this and i was curious whats the best mix for a desert rose??

Also I am trying to grow a desert rose from a clipping of one that i took from one that i had in texas that i gave away. I used root enzyme and put it in a 4" pot with regular soil. It sits under a grow light all day too and i mist it when i get up and then once at night when i get home from work. It looks to be growing however i pulled it out of the soil to see if it had any roots and well its not looking too hot. I dont even know if you could call them roots lol. Oh and it does have 1 bud at the top but i swear it doesnt look to be really growing. PLEASE HELP!!! I saw this plant and fell in love with its beauty i just want it to grow. Thanks

• puglvr1
    17 years ago

Hi New Yorker,

Here is a picture of my desert rose.I bought it in an 8" pot and have Up potted it three times since I've had it, always raising the caudex a little each time. I have had it for a year and a half or so. I used turface, pine bark mulch(small pieces),potting soil and granite. I mix it all together and add Osmocote every 3 months and 1/2 strength of liquid fertilizer every 2 to 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1309323}}

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

I've tried rooting them a couple of times, and though I wish to callous those cut ends as is suggested for most types of succulents, it seems the cuttings dry so quickly and shrivel so much they're totally gone in a few days sometimes and don't even callous over in that time, so upon planting , the cut ends quickly develope rot. There must be something I'm overlooking!

Rereading some of the earlier posts, I wonder if treating them just as I would any other type of tropical cutting might be the correct way to root them , and not allowing them to wilt nor form any callous before planting them? Seems I tried that as well already, with no luck! Also I'd add from seeing how much mine love maximum sun here in MIchigan and especially hot weather, I'd guess if yuo can provide that more of the year, even when they're indoors for the winter in the north, they'd be more likely to flower more often. As far as I know some are known to reflowrr several times a year after some heavy pruning and of course the abundant heat yearound , where that is said to happen.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

My 3 and 4 yr old DR's, bloom each summer..In winter they're placed in a cool room in a west window..I allow soil to dry, water once every 3-4 wks..both are underpotted..Too large a pot and I'd think this disrupts blooming come spring/summer. It's fertlized once a month during growing season..Come warmer days the plant is placed outdside and not brought in until days are cool..Toni

• wetbehindtheears
    16 years ago

First of all, let me say that you guys know a lot about plants! I have a lot to learn...

Anyway, I have a desert rose, about 8 inches tall. It was really unhappy this winter (or maybe just dormant?) and lost most of its leaves. Since I grew a brain and put it in front of a south facing window, it seems to be doing much better however. It has leaves exploding from every branch, which is good. However, they seem to develop brown spots on the edges once they reach a certain size. I`ve read that this can be due to inadequate draining, so perhaps the plain ole one hold in the bottom pot isn`t cutting it.

So my question is: What can I do for good drainage? Will buy new pot if necessary.

Can see it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/notaroboy/UntitledAlbum

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant

• shiollie
    16 years ago

Wetbehindtheears, the Adenium (desert rose) plants are succulents which means that they hold their own water and if you dont have excellent drainage they will rot. Most people plant them in cactus mix and in a terra cotta pot, make sure that it has at least 3 holes for drainage.
    Look at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good learning site

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

It's normal for leaves to drop in winter, especially where you're located, Wet..now that days are getting longer, you should see new growth.
    Though I must add, not all leaves should fall..
    Are you growing your DR in a bonsai pot?
    Though DR need to dry out thoroughly during winter months, the soil shouldn't turn so dry it cracks..If medium drys too much chances of leaf lost is greater..
    No fertilizers should be applied in winter.
    Be sure soil is well-draining. If water sits chances are DR will rot.
    I mix my own soils for all house plants using all purpose soil, sand (builders not beach) and Perlite.
    If you can place plant outside all the better. DR loves fresh air and sun. Toni

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

I feel strongly that the addition of plain garden soil to the soil mix is very beneficial, provided it is amended with healthy amounts of coarse materials such as perlite, pumice or gravel. Garden soil tends to be predominantly clay, which in the winter helps prevent total dessication since clay holds water well, so controlled very light waterings can helps sustain the fragile feeder roots with a bare minimum of water without the risk of rot. Also, clay soils tend to retain and release micronutrients favorably, and will not break down over time, unlike peat or bark chips.

Just remmeber that this is a dense, heavy mix, and watering needs to be cautious during active growth. There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, in my experience there is nothing better.

• funflower
    10 years ago

This morning I cut back and repotted my desert rose. The only thing is, when I repotted it and lifted it up some, there are a whole lot of little roots that were below ground. What happens to them now? By the way, I used cactus, palm, and something else for my repotting soil. Is that okay?

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

I trim the small feeder roots off after raising up. You can also leave them if you'd like. I think most people trim them off. There are many different potting soil mixes recommended, but the important thing with Desert Roses is that the soil mix must be fast draining. Many people use a cactus mix but always mix it with 25 - 75% perlite or something similar to make it drain fast. Most cactus mixes alone won't drain fast enough. If you look in the Adenium forum you will see many soil mix discussions.

-Heather

This post was edited by ginger9899 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 18:50