Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Browneopsis ucayalina from Ecuador

Posted by maspirasjr zone 10a (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 20:03

Hello all, check out my seedling of Browneopsis ucayalina. Is anyone else growing this? The specimen is related to Brownea, although in this case, the main attraction is the newly emergent foliage rather than the blooms. The young pinnate leaves are a deep magenta with lime green blotches, and they droop like hankerchiefs. Eventually, the mature leaf turns a solid deep green. The plant is native to rainforest areas of Ecuador, Colombia and Peru:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Browneopsis ucayalina from Ecuador

Congratulations Marcelo!

That's quite an achievement.

Peter sent me a pic in e-mail.

Is this the only species in the genus?

I'm impressed.

-Ron-

o

Oh MAN! Where'd ya get it? That's so cool! I want one! Sigh.... this forum gives me the "want's some" so much!

o

I saw one at the Tropical Flowering Tree Society's Mother's Day Sale at Fairchild's over the weekend. It was about 14"-16" tall and they only wanted $300 for it. Gulp! Marcello, where did you get yours? I understand that the seller won't disclose his seed source.

Jerry

o

Thanks, Ron. I believe it is a monogeneric plant.

Heathen and Jerry, here's the site where I got my seeds from. Feel free to contact Jim West for seeds-he's great to deal with:

http://www.ecuadorexplorer.com/guaycuyacu/fruits_1.html

IMHO, $300.00 for this plant is utterly ridiculous, but I'm not sure if charging an inflated price is any worse than not willing to disclose a seed source. I have no qualms about sharing seed sources (and I can bet Jim West was also the seed source for this fellow). My philosophy is that if more people can avail of the rarer species, so much the better. Growing botanical rarities should be a truly democratic exercise, not the prerogative of a select few :-) !

Marcelo

o

Hey guys, if you haven't run out to dish out the $300 yet...try Pacific Tropical Gardens www.PcTGrardens.com Browneopsis ucayalina in a 10"pot is only $45 plus freight (from Hawaii).
Thought you might be interested...
Joel

o

ok guys this just went to the top of my
must have plants. I have a spot on the shelf between
my maniltoa and amherstia just for this plant. Now how
do I get one ? thanks in advance phil hamilton texas

o

That is really freaky. Love that coloring.

o

I have several (actually, more then several) of these trees. They are amazing.

o

WOULD YOU CONSIDER SELLING ME ONE OF YOUR PRIZED
POSESSIONS ? OR AT LEAST SEND ME AN EMAIL TELLING
ME HOW I COULD OWN ONE OF THESE.

o

Scott Cohen is selling 6 inchers for $100 each at the Fairchild Ramble this weekend. He's got 3 or 4 left.

o

• Posted by cixel z10 FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 19:27

try to grow it from seed. the prices you see at fairchild are extremely inflated.
whats a shame is that a huge percentage of people selling rare plants there won't keep them alive.
i walked out of there with a airlayered hak ip lychee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here