Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taro plants

Posted by canelita-2 10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 21:28

Is anybody in Southern California growing elephant ears Taro plants???

I have two bulbs and planning to plant them in pots since I have read that once you plant them in the ground one cannot get rid of them... Their green foliage is so nice and green ...

Anyone can give me some advise on this plant?? The do's and don'ts...

Thanks a lot ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taro plants

There are in the vicinity of 2000 varieties of Colocasia esculenta, so there can be a bit of variation on their requirements and characteristics. Some send out runners, and some produce 'pups' off the main tuber. Water requirements can vary too, but none of them like it dry. Organic matter (compost) is better than chemical fertiliser.

If you try them in pots as you're planning you'll get an idea of how they are at spreading. That'll give you an idea as to whether it's safe to 'unleash' them or not.

o
RE: Taro plants

Walking through a car lot in January, I noticed a bunch of taro plants coming up through the gravel. The salesman said the lot used to be a taro patch; they had survived grading, tamping, graveling, and cars driving over them.

I got a great tall taro at a rummage sale in a tiny pot; repotted in a big pot. It escaped (sent out runners) within 6 months and is turning up all over my yard.

They shouldn't be that aggressive in California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here