Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgrundy

Mango's first prune

sgrundy
11 years ago

Picked up a Carrie Mango from Lowes on a whim last month.

This week new growth started to explode from the tree. The new growths are adding an inch a day.

I am planning on putting it in a larger container tomorrow with the hopes of planting in ground within several months,

I would like this to be more tree like and less of a low bush.

I am debating wether I should top it, or let it go a bit longer. It looks like the top is branching into 4 off shoots.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• john_dr
    11 years ago

I don't know if your mango is a small growing type but mangoes can grow into large trees if they get the right conditions. So I would reccomend planting away from any buildings and try to prune into a suitable shape for ease of harvesting. Just an observation but smaller trees seem to have more fruit on them and they are much easier to pick. Be careful of the sap from mango stems as it can irritate the skin and eyes.

Good luck.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

looks like it would grow into a nice tree shape as is. maybe prune off the lower branches and only have the top 4 branch out.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

You'd be better off to prune out the centre of the tree and let the side branches grow out. Fungus is a big problem with mangoes in humidity. Opening the centre out lets the sun in and good air movement.

If it's a grafted tree it won't tend to grow so tall, the grafting stunts them. Tall growing trees usually have smaller fruit. And it's easier to pick fruit from a smaller tree. Mangoes also like some extra calcium.