Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bird of Paradise - Full Sun or What?

Posted by gardens1948 7VA (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 21:43

I have two plants that I bought in Orlando, Florida about three or four years ago. One is what they called a "False Bird of Paradise" and the other is a true "Bird of Paradise", the one with the leathery type leaves. My "False Bird" blooms wonderfully ever year and I put it out in full sun. There were lots of them planted at Disney World out in the hot, hot, full sun so I knew what to do with that one.

My question is, should I put the other one, which is what I assume is a real Bird of Paradise, in full sun or does it require some shade. I got the impression from the lady at the nursery that I shouldn't put it in full sun but it has never bloomed since I've had it. She said that it had bloomed before I bought it and should bloom again for me that year but it didn't. I have been keeping it outside during the summer but under and arbor so it doesn't get much sun. I'm thinking about putting it on my deck this summer, which gets morning to mid day sun.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bird of Paradise - Full Sun or What?

I'm not sure what it is they're calling "False Bird of Paradise", but the true Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) does best in full sun.

o

Generally Bird of Paradise grow for five year before blooming. Full sun is fine, so is some shade. If the plant looks healthy, doen't worry about it. It will abapt!

o

Heliconia psittacorum 'Andromeda' or other similar cultivars are sometimes called "False Bird of Paradise".

o

Actually, if they look a little burnt, they will bloom the best.

o

That was my first thought too, Gary, but a psittacorum growing and blooming well in zone 7? That part threw me off. And a heli can usually take a little bit more shade than a bird, at least that's been my experience.

o

Thanks all for the information. I think I will go ahead and put them both on my deck (they are in pots and I take them inside for the winter). It gets morning to mid-afternoon sun and then shade.

Ann

o

Does anyone know what the temperature hardiness is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here