Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Giant Banyan Tree in Hawaii

siegel2
9 years ago

My friend and I were hiking up the stream on the land my wife and I own on the Big Island and discovered this old Banyan tree. Don't know how old it is, but it looks ancient. Also found a nice waterfall.

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

They're not native to Hawaii so it wouldn't be ancient. With plenty of water they grow reasonably fast. That pool looks very inviting. Is the waterfall and stream on your property as well? Looks like you've got a great set up there.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, maybe it only looks ancient and the stream gives it plenty of water.

The stream divides my 8 acres from the neighbor's property on the other side so its only half mine, but he doesn't have access to the water.

We are fortunate to have this set up also because there is a mini hydro system in the stream we had installed that helps power our home. "Free" electricity 24/7/365.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

You're very lucky having that. I have a creek on my place, but it criss-crosses my back boundary, so sometimes it's completely in my place, sometimes out. But it only runs in the wet season (and a bit after). It's not the ideal swimming spot though, there are some rather large sets of teeth in there (and further back in the main river). We have a very distinct wet/dry seasonal change so half the year is hot and dry, the other half hot and wet.

Having a hydro-system would be great, but wouldn't work for me. Something like a solar set up would be better, we get a lot of sun.

I've got some banyans but mostly around the same size as yours. Since they're native here there are some really huge ones not far away. They've had several hundred years to get big. I really like them, although some people really fear their roots.

• newgen
    9 years ago

What a great situation you have there, land in HI with a stream running through it. 8-)) Did you build your house on it too, or did the acreage come with a house?

• siegel2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks newgen.

We're having a house built on the property now. The stream is behind the house where the big trees are.

{{gwi:1309539}}

• CAST1
    9 years ago

It must be nice having land like that.
    Here in Arizona all we have is rocks and cacti.
    You can't walk outside either because of how hot it is. Lol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

What a great piece of property you guys found!! What are your plans for landscaping the front of the house and what else are you planning to grow on your slice of tropical paradise?
    ~SJN

• siegel2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sultry.

We have planted over 200 fruit trees, mostly Longan and Lychee, but also everything from Durian and Mangosteen to Breadfruit and Jackfruit.

Here's a Breadfruit that I planted a couple of years ago. With well over 120 inches of rain a year, trees grown fast.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Wow that Breadfruit is a beauty! I envy you being able to grow tropical fruit! I have some trees that I have to bring into the gh during our few freezes (zone 9a) every winter. I have Longan that fruited really nicely last year for the first time, starfruit, dragonfruit and some others. I even have 3 crazy sausage trees (not fruit) growing in large pots lol.

I have a tiny jack fruit tree that I started from seed last summer. It seems pretty happy for now. Maybe we will live somewhere warmer by the time it grows up.
    We only have just under 4 acres here but it seems like a lot less once you get all your hobbies going (plants, poultry, dh's cars etc.) LOL!
    ~SJN

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I'm going to guess Hamakua, maybe 1000 foot elevation?

• siegel2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close. Makai Pepeekeo, 375'.