Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

Strelitzia -- two types?

Gardener972
18 years ago

What are the varieties of strelitzia? Isn't there a variety that only gets to be about 2-3 feet tall and has narrower leaves?

Comments (14)

• bihai
    18 years ago

google has links to all the various types

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

The Orange BOP is the smaller of the two, white can get pretty tall.

• siegel2
    18 years ago

Here's a list:

Species

Strelitzia alba (syn. S. augusta) - White bird of paradise
    Strelitzia caudata - Swaziland Strelitzia, African desert banana
    Strelitzia nicolai - White, or Giant bird of paradise; Wild banana
    Strelitzia reginae (syn. S. parvifolia) - Strelitzia, Bird of paradise, or Crane lily
    Hybrids
    S Ã kewensis (hybrid between S. reginae and S. augusta)
    Varieties
    S. reginae v. juncea. Greatly reduced or non-existent leaves.

I'm growing S. alba, S. caudata and S. reginae v. juncea and a dwarf variety from seed. You'll never find S. kewensis unless you know someone who works in the Kew Gardens in England.

Here's a link where you can buy the seeds. (It in German, but you should be able to figure out how to order from it. I did, and I don't know any German.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Strelitzia seed site

• User
    18 years ago

Strelitzia juncea (syn. parvifolia) with Sansevieria in background.
    {{gwi:1306696}}

• baci
    18 years ago

There is a narrow leaf bird of paradise but I am unsure as to the botanic name. The name
    Strelitzia parvifolia juncea is confusing. The narrow leaf & no leaf (as pictured above) supposedly comes under that category but they look completely different. The narrow leaf appears to be more uncommon.

I have also seen all but the Strelitzia caudata on eBay. The standard orange & mini orange is sometimes found on the seed trading forum.

There is also a Giant White variegated bird of paradise. There are reports online regarding some breeders developing a variegated no leaf.

If you ever purchase Strelitzia reginae 'Mandelas Gold', make sure the seller knew the source or knew they were correctly hand pollinated. Seeds need to come from a yellow crossed with a yellow. If a yellow crossed with an orange, the orange dominates.

If the S Ã kewensis is a hybrid between S. reginae (Standard orange) and S. augusta (Giant White), that should be possible here in the states. I can not find pictures, but it appears as if cultivation has stopped:

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/ksheets/bop.html

In 1909, S. x kewensis, a hybrid between S. reginae and S. alba, flowered at Kew for the first time, producing pale watery yellow flowers. Unfortunately it now seems to have disappeared from cultivation.

A related plant in the Strelitzia family is the travelerÂs palm as well as dwarf varieties.

To add to your confusion, there is the Mexican bird of paradise. These are different plants, & are caesalpina rather than Strelitzia.

• siegel2
    18 years ago

In addition to the Traveller's Palm (Ravenala madagascariensis), there is also Phenakospermum guyannense or Ravanala guyanensis in the same family.

You can see from the photo that Phenakospermum guyannense is in the same family. It has that Bird of Paradise "look".

You can buy rhizomes from Tropilab in Surinam in South America.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropilab

• baci
    18 years ago

Thanks, cagary for the rhizome source for the Phenakospermum guyannense. It is confusing with the Strelitzia info online, as they all seem to copy & paste each otherÂs work. So, just to get this straight in my own understanding, others in the Strelitzia family are:

Phenakospermum guyannense.: South American travelers palm, big palulu, red traveler's palm.
    Ravenala madagascariensis: traveler's palm, traveler's tree, arbol del viajero, waaierpalm.

I would love to get a Phenakospermum guyannense  itÂs just saving up for the phytosanitary certificate. There is also a Ravenala guayensis (Red Traveler's Tree). To my understanding it is a dwarf variety of Ravenala madagascariensis. There are sources in the states, but I have had problems with seed germination with some of the companies.

Here is a small picture:

http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/shop/index.html?d_M2_01_Ravenala_guayensis37445.htm

• siegel2
    18 years ago

baci,

Ravenala guayensis (Red Traveler's Tree) is the same plant as Phenakospermum guyannense. Contrary to what many internet site say, it is not a dwarf form of Ravenala madagascariensis. The horticulturist at Tropilab told me this.

If you order a Phenakospermum guyannense from Tropilab, be sure to request that your rhizome is large AND has roots. You might have to pay a little extra for this, but its worth it because it'll have a better chance of growing.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your help everyone! If it's kept in a pot, will it be somewhat contained, size wise or will it still get very tall?

• baci
    18 years ago

Thanks, cagary. I will investigate more. There are companies that sell seeds without knowing their product, so I appreciate the information. I drove through Orange County the other day & saw travelers palms in private lots & in front of businesses  I wonder the varieties above are already introduced somewhere in CA.
    gardener972, you can keep them in pots. If you have one like the no leaf pictured above, it will probably get to be about 3 ft. The narrow leaf should be about 5 ft. Here are some pictures of the narrow leaf.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/10800

Some of the writings online say these plants prefer to be pot bound, but I am a big fan of happy roots with plenty of room for these plants. Some growers claim it helps with blooming in cooler zones, but they will flower fine with the extra root room in warm zones. Furthermore, if your summer heat is intense, you do not want root bound plants struggling for their food in the hot sun. 15 ft giant whites can be grown in pots; commercial growers put them in boxes. They can take hot sun, but in desert area they use shade cloth.
    They can be potted with an extended release fertilizer; add extra fertilizer during bloom time.

• siegel2
    18 years ago

baci,

Here's a photo of the Ravenala madagascariensis in front of my home. The photo is over a year old, so the plant is somewhat larger now. Its gone through two winters here in southern Orange County without any damage at all. I also have a small Phenakospermum guyannense growing in my greenhouse. I got it from Trobilab. Its struggling, but I think its going to make it.

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

i have 2 differnt types. one is the common one that is bush like and gets about 4 ft tall. the other isn't bush like.... it looks stiff almost, the way the stems stand straight up inlike the other were they lean over...

• baci
    17 years ago

Cagary, that is a beautiful Ravenala madagascariensis. They are breathtaking.
    Tropicalfreak, if you have the common one, it is probably Strelitzia reginae. The other may be a couple of different ones  if you post pictures you may get an ID on forum.

• empireman
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone - I'm looking for Mandela's Gold. Can anyone help? I saw it at the Farmers Market for 18.00 ( 5 gal ) today, but I didn't have any more cash. When I got back - they were sold out - boo hoo!