Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bougainvillea will not bloom

Posted by ohiobegoniac Z5 Cleveland (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 23:32

I live in Cleveland, Ohio, and have a large greenhouse. In that greenhouse are two bougainvilleas. Both of them grow beautifully. One is in constant bloom in the late spring and well into the summer. The other has NEVER bloomed in the 10 years that it has been under glass. I don't even know what color it is. It has grown so well that the wood is now nearly one inch in diameter. I have dumped copious amount of bloom stimulating fertilizer on it for several years. I have tried cutting it all the way back to the main trunk. I have spoken softly and alternatively frequently swear at it. Still no blooms. Both of the bouganvillas are in the same area of the greenhouse and receive the same amount of sun in the Southern exposure.

Does anyone have a suggestion?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bougainvillea will not bloom

I would neglect it. Let it get very dry. That should encourage blooms. I havent had blooms on my bougainvillea for an entire year because I have been giving it lots of water so it gets to a good size and now that its at a good size I am now letting it dry out so it beings to bloom. Not sure if it will work, but I hear the more neglect, the more blooms for these plants.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

Agree- let it experience a dry season as it would in it's natural setting.

o

They grow like weeds here! It is very dry! Everybody has them on their stucco walls, and they grow in the bush form along highways. They do need a little water, but they love dry heat.

o

As TZ says, you need to try some TOUGH LOVE. Withhold your watering to the point of drought. You're probably overly fertilizing too. Containers that are too big may also be delaying bloom--everything is going into vegetative growth. Full sun, heat and some benign neglect is needed. PS., I learned this by keeping mine outside in full sun but well-watered all summer, result?--NO FLOWERS. When I would bring them inside in the Fall and forget about them, they would come into heavy bloom--without fail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here