Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseestorm

'Glum' Windmill palm! HELP!

tennesseestorm
15 years ago

I have had a Windmill palm for 4 years now. It has always thrived and grew very well and survived the winters here with no protection or damage. This winter, it was even more mild than the past years I have had it, but one certain day we had light, but wet snow (which was very rare this winter, because it was really the only snow we had), but it weighed the fronds down heavily and I did not know it. I brushed the snow off, but I think it caused damage. We also had a hard freeze that night. Since then, it started looking more and more "sick". Fronds were turning brown on alot of spots. I have noticed that a couple of the fronds are coming out green, but the "newest" frond (spear?) coming out has turned completely brown and appears dead and I see no new fronds following it. Last week I fertilized it (Miracle Grow), but so far no results. Is my Windmill slowly perishing? Its sad and a shame, because for years it has thrived here- even in winters colder than this past winter. Here it is mid May and normally its really green and lush by now - no so this time. :(

Thanks for any advice/help!

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Tenn, if you can't find an answer here on Tropicals, try the Palm forum.
    It saddens me hearing you've had your Windmill 4 years, then suddenly have problems.
    Perhaps your palm needs more time to adjust..What are temps in TN?
    How tall is your palm? I'm assuming, there are still green leaves and healthy trunk, right?
    Inspect trunk. As long as it's firm, it's alive. Remove brown fronds.
    Do you use Superthrive? If so, add 10 drops per gallon of room-temp water. (If your palm is alive)
    Some people claim fertilizing a sick plant causes stress, others think it helps. Superthrive is NOT a fertilizer. It contains hormones and 50 vitamins. This product has helped many ailing plants. Go to www.superthrive.com for information. They offer a sample packet. Last time I checked, cost was .60..price may have up'ed. If you decide to try ST, and like it, the best deals are on Ebay.
    When you fertilized, did you apply the correct dossage listed on container? Overfeeding any plant, especially using chemical fertilizers can also brown foliage.
    What about watering? Underwatering causes fronds to brown, though you don't want muddy soil either.
    Do you have a picture?
    Give your palm time. Hopefully, it may need adaption. The night temps dropped, did you cover your palm? People I've talked to who grow (semi-hardy) palms in their gardens in cold climates) use Christmas lights during cold, winter days and nights. Good luck, Toni

• tennesseestorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello. The palm is about 4 ft tall and has always done well. The browning of the fronds was spotty and it was like this before I gave it the miracle grow... that was why I gave it miracle grow. I mixed it even 'weaker' than the directions called for. I do not think its underwatered, because we have had good rains, but not flooding rains. I did not cover it this winter, because it did not even get below the mid 10s this past winter and it was my understanding that these would be OK down to zero. It made it through a winter a couple of years ago when we hit 8° on two mornings, which was our coldest mornings. As mentioned, it did not have any damage even the first winter I had it and it was even colder that winter than this winter, which is why I am puzzled. I do not think it was the winter temps that caused it.

Here is a photo I took the other day....
    Not sure if it will work or not though.

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/Tennesseestorm/Tree%20album/100_8006.jpg[/IMG]

Hopefully it will pull out of this.

Thanks again.

• subtropix
    15 years ago

I tend to agree with you, I don't think it was winter cold. As you said, this past winter was really mild, my winter though was probably colder than yours with a few bouts of heavy freezing rain and a minimum of 11F.. I covered the trunks of the palms with blankets but left the fronds exposed and had no problems. What's your soil like? It's possible the plant was already stressed out prior to the winter and the cold merely hastened its decline. As long as the soil is well-draining, I keep these guys well-watered in the growing season if natural rains are lacking.--Have you been in drought at all??

• tennesseestorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, summer 2007 we had terrible drought and excessive heat!

• tennesseestorm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Starting to see some green coming out of the spear... maybe it will be OK yet.