Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

tropicals fruits and experiment for the year

Eggo
18 years ago

Pictures taken this year. A few ripe fruits and a few developing fruits plus a couple of experiments with some extreme tropicals and some new additions.

{{gwi:1309806}} received from a very generous fellow Gardenwebber(THANKS Barry!)

{{gwi:1309807}} fruiting in a five gallon pot

{{gwi:1309808}} ripened in the begining of February, delicious

, early fruiting one

fruitlet that looks like it might hold

, emperor variety, hopefully it won't split and drop like last year

in greenhouse

{{gwi:1309813}}, I thought this was white until it was compared to aeae its cream.

just planted out this spring

just starting to develop, yummy. CAN'T WAIT!

, trying to stop it from splitting by wrapping fruits in tracing paper and cutting down with too much watering

{{gwi:1309817}}, green guava gets to about the size of a baseball

{{gwi:1309818}} in greenhouse

{{gwi:1309819}} experiment

{{gwi:1309820}}, yummy unknown variety that was grafted

Comments (16)

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Eggo: Woaw, (drooling over my keyboard), I am so jelaous of your great rare fruit collection right now. Well, I now know to whom ask for some dwarf ambarella seeds. >=D

Those maprang look very nice! I would like to know wich is your home address and take a 2 hr trip to LA next month and sneak into your yard. lol Those maprangs are so tempting. My only maprang has only 1 leaf coming from a 0.5" tall stem, and not sure if it will survive.

I wonder if dwarf ambarella tastes similar to Spondias purpurea (red mombin), since I heard both have crunchy meat.

I´ve never seem some cherimoyas babies before, and have tasted about not more than 10 fruits in my entire life. You are so lucky.

Those nam doc mangos skins seems so smooth.

Very good looking those ae ae banana trees, Hylocereus, longan, durian, etc!

You own a great collection. >=D

• popsicle_toe
    18 years ago

Eggo, I'm so drooling over your collections!!

I'm originally from Southeast Asia so am quite familiar with some of the plants you have. Note regarding Durian, not sure what variety you have but they will grow quite big into a tree so make sure you have space for them. It does take quite a few years for them to fruit and the fruits fall down to the ground automatically when they ripe. The Thai variety is the sweetest! Oh.. how I wish my zone could accomodate them!

Ok, I'm going to look for tissue now :)

• gardenalive
    18 years ago

All I can say is you have a big green thumb!! I love that potted ambarella of yours. Are you ever tire of having to water it? I just don't like potted plants that much, they just take too much effort to keep alive and flourishing in the Texas heat. And what are you giving it that makes the leaves so green?
    Very nice tropical collections..wish I can say the same for myself lol.

• jun_
    18 years ago

wow, beautiful fruit. My collection is ok, but not fruitful yet like yours. I have a dwarf ambarella in a pot and it had a lot of fruit, I have it in the ground now, will post pics later.

• maspirasjr
    18 years ago

That's really stunning, Eggo! I especially liked your mangosteen. Was that seed grown or did you order the seedling from somewhere? Thanks,

M

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marcelo, I got them about 2yrs ago, they were suppose to be about 3yrs old then, they were a good size. This is my third year with them and first year its in the ground(fingers crossed). Extremely slow grower for the past two years. But it seems to like the greenhouse and the 100F degree temps, I've been getting extremely fast growth flush. I may get 2ft of growth before the end of the year at this rate.

Thanks GardenAlive but my thumbs are stained green from all the plants that I've killed!! I have lost count of my victims. Lessen learned for every plant. Casualties for the new year are about a dozen sweetsop seedlings and two 3yr old mangosteens seedlings which I practically grew from seed, that was sad and I learned a lesson, I'm not messing with chemical fertilizer for these fellas anymore. The ambarella only looks so green because it defoliates every winter and these are new leaves. =) Personally, I just used mulch and some fish emulsion these days. My fertilizing and potting regimen has gotten simpler and simpler over the past years. Great, can't wait to see the picture Jun. How large do these dwarft ambarellas get? I've only seen regular sized ones that gets kind of large.

Patusho, your more than welcome to visit. hehe. For the most part it just sounds impressive, many of the plants are small and young except for my two large cherimoya trees, it bears over 100 fruits together.

Popsicle toes, I'm hoping I might be able to keep it small with consistent pruning. Too early to worry about it though. Got to make sure it makes it through winter first, hehe. I will be trying to get some budwood of known durian varieties to graft onto them, we'll see how it goes.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's an interesting picture of some mangosteen seedlings from last year. check out the multiple tap roots.

• Kameha
    18 years ago

Eggo you are amazing! I would be envious of you, but I am not even on that level to be envious of you...I'm much more of a novice.

How long does it take for dragonfruit to fruit?

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Eggo: why those mangosteen are out of the ground? did they survive the transplantation? I just killed 2 out of 3 my mangosteens (sunburn). sobs.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kameha, dragonfruit is a fast bloomer. A thick 12 inch cutting grown properly will fruit and flower within 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Patusho, those mangosteens were grown in peat moss, I was taking them out to be potted and notice that some developed more than one tap root. Oh sorry about your mangosteen.=(
    They really don't like sun much. I am quite surprise actually by how much shade a mangosteen can take, leaves actually get gigantic in the shade too.

• gardenalive
    18 years ago

Eggo,

Yeah, i'm leaning more toward organic now. Since I live just a few hundred yards from the beach, fish is not hard to get access to. I've read somewhere on gardenweb that shows you how to make a homemade fish emulsion. Have you plants respond positively to the fish emulsion?

Guess I may shoot some pictures of my tropicals, large and small, and post it since everyone is doing just that hehe.

• Kameha
    18 years ago

Okay that's good to know Eggo. My pitaya should blossom soon then.

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GardenAlive, I use the fish emulsion on my potted plants and so far it seems to respond well. It just seems better using organic on potted plants, no chemical buildup and overfertilizing I think. On the plants that are planted out I do use a bit more chemical. This year though I'm experimenting with just burying fish near its drip line(I know I'm lazy), just make it simple now and let nature do its stuff. So far, no odd animals digging anything up. What do you think, is there anything bad about this?
    And yeah I do get tired of watering those potted plants. Lost some Atemoya seedlings because it got too dried and hot and I wasn't around. Its not even summer yet. But it seems that a few are really drought tolerant.
    Kameha, dragonfruit seems to be quite easy to grow. I'm getting more flower buds. They will fruit in a large pot too.

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Eggo: I read dragonfruit can bear fruit in 5 gallon pots, do you think this could be possible? Or how big must it be?

I believe summer begins in June 21, or were you being figurative?

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patusho, I know I don't sleep but what about you. haha
    I think a five gallon pot maybe a bit small for a dragonfruit. They need to climb and need to send out lots of branches. Likes manure just like bananas. This is around a fifteen gallon pot or more. Not sure, it was bucket bought at either Walmart or Kmart with holes drilled in.

planted from 12 inch cuttings taken in fall 2003, had fruit last winter on the white flesh ones, red flesh flowering first time this year.

Yeah your right summer did begin already. Its just been so gloomy and grey around here I forgot.

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Eggo: yeah I know I know. I am also without a job right now. hehe

Well, I will tell my uncle to give those 15 gallon pots a try