Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on Hibiscus please

Posted by maroruben 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 8:44

Hello everyone. I apologize if I'm not posting this in the correct forum but I wasn't sure where to post. I took some cutting from a hibiscus in my front yard a couple of years ago and they rooted. When they got bigger I planted them in 5 gallon buckets. They've kept growing but they look so skinny and don't flower much. I don't know if it's because 5 gallon buckets are too small and the soil get too hot, or if it's the roots not having room to grow. I've heard that hibiscus can be grown is pots but maybe they need to be pruned smaller? I'm not sure. I don't want to plant them in the ground because up here in North Florida we have freezes during the winter and my hibiscus dies to the ground every year. I'd like them in pots so I can bring them in. I'm open to anything to help these babies grow. Here they are in their sad state:
 photo phonepictures429_zpscbd308a1.jpg

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on Hibiscus please

Wherever you cut a plant, two new branches will grow, so I'd recommend cutting them back to where it starts branching, so when they grow back out, they will be fuller. Keep doing it until you are satisfied with the fullness. Why aren't they planted in the ground?

o

Hi Kay, I don't have them in the ground because every year the frost kills them to the ground, so I wanted to have them in pot/buckets....whatever so that I can brink them in during the winter.

o

Hibiscus tend to get a bit like that if they're crowded out with too much root competition. Also not enough fertiliser, poor soil. Pruning would help if you want a more compact bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here