Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead avocado tree regrowth qustion

Posted by Chris83 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 9:08

I was given an Avocado tree this past summer when I moved to Florida (Orlando). I did not watch it as closely as I should during the winder and my 4 foot tree lost all its life except for some shoots that shot up in the spring by the base of the plant.

There are three main shoots that are growing well, one is substantially doing better. Should I cut the other shoots back so the main shoot does better or should I let all three grow? The plant is about 2 and 1/2 feet tall now.

I'm noticing that as the other two shoots grow their leaves are overlapping the main shoot. It looks like three separate plants are growing. Will the trunk of the tree grow so these become branches of the main tree, or are these three separate plants that I should trim back 2 to let the other one do well?

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead avocado tree regrowth qustion

I would just let it grow then decide later which one to cut. I have one that came up with six shoots and I had to cut one shoot last year because of a carport I built. The tree is about 25 foot tall.

o
RE: Dead avocado tree regrowth qustion

It looks like all the growth is below the graft, if it ever was grafted. Growing avocados, like many fruit trees, grafting is required. On occasion it is possible to have a good outcome by seed, but unlikely. Because it takes years until the first fruit, and consider the value of the land, and the most precious commodity of all, time...Get quality grafted fruit. If successful it may produce for decades. I can't remember the hybrid of avocado, but it is an excellent fruit. As big as a big grapefruit with excellent texture and flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here