Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bindu31

Night blooming Jasmine

bindu
18 years ago

I have a night blooming Jasmine that is just beautiful but this year it did not flower. It is as green as it can be but no flowers. What should I do? Please help. Thanks.

Comments (23)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    18 years ago

Is it getting enought light and proper food?

• SaucyFossy
    18 years ago

I have a cecile brunner rose intertwined with mine and gave the rose (and the jessamine, by default) Bayer three in one systemic rose and flower food. It responded with extra blooms this year, but it only just started blooming a week or two ago. No buds?

Mine gets a ton of water, too, because our next door neighbors dont have plumbin and their kitchen sink waste water goes right to the roots.

• Mikey
    18 years ago

Mine never flowers until late summer, August, when the heat forces the blooms.

• birdlady_liz
    18 years ago

cestrum nocturnum (night blooming jasmine) needs to be topped once in awhile, this keeps it bushy and encourages blooming, We grow ours in morning sun and afternoon filtered light here in central Florida and feed a time released 13-13-13 balanced fertilizer (nutricoat)and they do great.

• countrynest
    18 years ago

Birdlady,
    My night bloomer also gets cut back every year due to winter damage,early spring she grows fast. ours started blooming about a week ago. When we go into our swimming pool or sit in the back porch the fragrance is just so wonderful.
    I give her rotted horse manure and once in a while Miracle grow.She also gets morning sun only.

• bindu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all I have had great suggstions. I have implemented many of them but I still do not know what is to top off. Also where would I buy horse manure? Thanks everyone.

• BigDaddy123
    18 years ago

I have a night blooming jasmine that I prchased from an online nursury this spring. It was about 6 inches tall when I received it and has doubled in size in about 6 weeks. My problem is that I recently noticed that the plant has a sticky white paste at a lot of the nodes and on several leaves. Since I've noticed it, swarms of ants which seem to be attracted to the paste, have invaded the plant. It gets full sun and plenty of water. It seemed to be doing great until a week ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am a big fan of night blooming jasmine and this is my first plant.

• bindu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That sticky stuff is aphids I think. I have tried safer soap or also the light mineral oil works great. Youu spray it and after a day wash it water. It cleans up really well. Good luck.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

My cestrum nocturnum blooms on the most hideously humid hot nights in mid to late summer. They bloom on new growth so if you cut (top off) them now, you may have to wait until they put out new growth and buds. However, they do grow fairly quickly. I usually cut mine back in winter here in Louisiana.

• BigDaddy123
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion ,bindu, I'm going to try the soap today.

• User
    18 years ago

My night jasmine also usually blooms in late summer (August-September), this year with the tropical humidity it was blooming by mid June. Are you sure your jasmine Cestrum is not potbound, they are very fast growers. Good luck!

• texasislander
    18 years ago

I have found that they love lots of water, especially rain. Mine bloom from early spring until the first frost after every heavy watering or rainfall. I have to prune them back about twice a year to be able to walk past them. If you put them in the ground with lots of cow manure and organic material, they'll bloom beautifully for you!

• rixblonde
    17 years ago

my night blooming jasmine is growing in hanging basket get plenty of water(every other day )and I also give it water soluble bloom booster once every 7-10 days.Got maybe 6 hours of direct sun and leaves started to look very week and possibly sun burned so I moved it now it get maybe 3 hours of filtered to direct light in the morning . It looks a little bit better but leaves still look very thin and translucent .Someone please help I really would like this plant to bloom at least once this summer I'm really looking forward to this wonderful scent

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

This year I have tried using bloom booster on my night blooming jasmines. Thye respond within a week or two with buds. Usually mine didn't bloom here until later in the summer but since I have been using the bloom booster, I have already had 2 flushes of flowers so far this year! Go figure :)
    ~SJN

• rixblonde
    17 years ago

I'm so envious . Mine on the other hand is still not looking to well leaves are very wrinkled looking and yellow I don't know whats wrong with it.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

rixblonde,
    I find it to be quite an upright shrub that will get quite large. It has a large root system and would probably be better suited for a large pot rather than a hanging basket (IMHO.) It sounds like it may be getting too much water and/or fert (twisted leaves), try letting it dry out a little in between waterings. I know the sun is much more intense in TX than here in LA but I think they need more sun than 3 hours of filtered sun to bloom.I would repot it in rich potting mix with lots of perlite added for good drainage ( I just use a MG/perlite mix).Then gradually move it into at least full morning/early aft. sunlight.
    After you first repot, it will take a little time for the roots to fill up the pot (they will bloom better slightly potbound), but after that it should bloom a lot better for you and there is certainly still time in the season.
    They bloom best on new growth so don't cut off the new growth for shaping purposes until late fall after it is through blooming. That is all I can think of for now.
    My .02Cents-
    ~SJN

• rixblonde
    17 years ago

SJN, thanks so much for your feddback I will definetly follow your advice And keep you updated. How often and how much should I water and fertilize?

• isabel_2006
    17 years ago

Hi,

I live in Jerusalem and have a Night Blooming Jasmine which is flowering ALL THE TIME. We are lucky here with all the sun we get.

However, recently my plant's leaves have been soft and yellowing...and then dropping off. I suspect I am watering it too much. Most web-site suggest not to 'overwater' but to water regularly. Obviously, I don't know what regularly means...or how much water each time.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Isabel

• kes_cor
    17 years ago

My night blooming Jasmine blooms when it has root room. If I leave it in the pot which I over wintered it, i get a few blooms. When I transplant it to a larger pot + 2 sizes or plant in the ground they go crazy. I live in Zone 5 and they'll start blooming in mid july.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

water when dry only and it should be happy

• learningtogarden_201
    14 years ago

Hi - my previously beautiful night jasmine's leaves are turning yellow and subsequently dropping off (we have had a big wet season and are on clay soil so I think from previous comments it may be too wet). Is there anything I can do to help it? Should I cut back the leafless branches?

• DavidGreece
    12 years ago

For those of you that like flowers that smell at night I would like to reccomend a couple of others for you.
    I have, in my garden, another wounderful plant called " Angel Trumpet"

They are beautiful to look at and have an icredible smell that that drifts on the breeze as the Night blooming jasmin does. It fills the garden with its scent.I'm sure you will love it. I do. In fact, I want to drown myself in it somehow.

You may also like
    " Moon Flower" Opens at night and you can wach it open before yor eyes within seconds( Really Amazing ) Stuff your face in it to really enjoy it.
    "Evening Primrose Oenothera"

These are my favourites. If you would like to know of any more let me know.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022