o
Poppies - Annual or perennial?

Posted by it_better_be_organic (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 10:38

Or does it depend on the species?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies - Annual or perennial?

Totally depends on the species, and also where you are. Iceland poppies (papaver nudicale) are generally considered annual, but are perennial in my climate.
Papaver somniferum (breadseed, lettuce leaf poppies) are annual.
Papaver orientalis are perennial. These are the ones with the prickly hairy leaves. Cultivars include 'royal wedding', 'patty's plum', etc.
Meconopsis poppies are perennial. These include the blue himalayan poppies, and the orange or yellow welsh poppies.
California poppies are annuals most everywhere, but are perennial in my CA coastal climate.
Papaver alpinum (alpine poppies) are supposedly perennial, but I think they will be annuals for me. I have some in a container outside; I'll have to wait and see what they do.

Hope this helps!

Amanda 'romando'

o

thanks very much

o

• Posted by patsi z7-S.Jersey (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 16:18

I'm hoping these unknown poppies I started from seed are Perennials but think they're Annual.
Am I right ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here