Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Guava Questions

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 11:01

Last year, a dude on Ebay sold me some seeds for Pineapple Guava. I drifted them across some potting soil, stuck them outside in the shade under a sprinkler, and they all lived. In a tiny pot! Well, life happens, and I forgot about them.

Last night I looked at them, and one is about 6" tall with another growing right next to it, about 2" tall. There is one more half dead about 1" tall about 3" away, and the rest are gone.

I brought the container into the house, watered it, stuck it in plastic zip lock for a little humidity, and here are my questions.

1. Can the two that are growing together stay that way?

2. You need two plants for pollination. Will these two pollinate each other even though they are growing as one?

The lone, almost dead one, has one little green leaf, so if I can revive it, it is far enough away for separation. I'll use it for a pollinator if it lives, but...

3. These seeds came from the same plant, so do I need a different variety for pollination?

Thanks!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Guava Questions

If they are from different seeds, they will pollinate each other. They should be grown in separate pots because the stronger one may choke out the other one. Even though they are from the same plant, genetically they are slightly different and so that's why seedlings can pollinate each other. Exact clones (cuttings) are 100% genetically the same so there would be pollination issues.

I say different seeds because some plants (I'm not sure if pineapple guava is one) are polyembryonic - many embryos / seedlings from the same seed (Blue Lilly Pilly is an example of poly embryonic-seeds) Think of this as identical twins (poly-embryonic) and fraternal twins (seeds from the same plant)

The other seedling may survive - pot it up separate and see. No harm in trying.

o

So, keep the twins together, and the one that has one leaf, baby it, and see what shakes?

Suzi

o

separate the twins - grow all three in separate containers (or in ground) and see what happens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here