Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo and termites?

Posted by AlyceUSVI Z10/11St.JohnUS (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 11:47

I have searched the flooring forum and see no reference to termites eating bamboo. I live in the Caribbean and would like to put in bamboo flooring. Bamboo grows here and the termites don't make nests in it but is that because they don't like eating it or it isn't substantial enough to support the nest?
The flooring forum doesn't address this issue. Does anyone gardening in the tropics have experience with using bamboo flooring and termites finding it appetizing? Termites love oak and pine and so far the only thing they don't eat is treated wood or a dark hardwood from South America? Any thoughts or experience appreciated?
Thanks in advance,
Alyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo and termites?

I don't have any personal experience, but a quick google search of the words "bamboo termites" turned up the following information:

1) Termites do eat bamboo.
2) Some bamboo species seem to be more resistant than others.
3) Not all species of bamboo make good building material.
4) Fungus, powder beetles and woodworms are also problems.
5) There are a number of ways to treat bamboo in order to insect-proof it.
6) There is actually a species known as the bamboo termite (which should give you a clue right there) that is apparently very tasty if you like that sort of thing-- and there seem to be enough people who do to support a restaurant featuring insect cuisine. Think I'll take a pass on that one...

Didn't come across anything specifically on flooring, but then I didn't really look that hard. This site gives a lot of info on harvesting and treating commercial bamboo:

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo treatment methods

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here