Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this plant - oleander?

Posted by jeff-n-jessa NY -5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 12:00

Hi everyone - I love Lowe's. They don't take proper care of their tropicals, and then when they show the slightest stress they knock 50% off! Anyway, I got this plant there for $10, and it's labelled as "Pacifica Mix". It sort of looks like an oleander. Any ideas?

Thanks! Whatever it is, can you tell me what type of fertilizer it likes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this plant - oleander?

Hi Jeff - that is oleander. They're very easy to grow here in Southern California. It's also related to the plumeria family.

Kasie

o

great! oleander is pretty expensive at the specialty nurseries... Do they like high "P" values like the plumies?

o

Oleander is very toxic. All parts of the plant. If you have kids, keep them away from those plants.
I have a few variegated ones. They started off as 12 inch rooted pieces from a friend and in 4 years have grown to a height of 10-12 feet. Oleanders do not need bloom booster fertilizers to bloom well. Plain old Peters or Miracle Grow will be fine for them. They take full sun. They are hardy here to at least 20F. Sometimes they get tips frozen off but they respond extremely well to spring pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here