Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_palm_crazy

My New Place Before and After

josh_palm_crazy
11 years ago

Hi everybody. Long time no see. I finally have the garden at my new place in Waynesboro PA picture worthy. We moved in October 21st. Here's a bunch of before and after shots. It's still a work in progress and lacks the variety of previous years. Lots of pics. Here we go.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Here's the front of the house. I'm hesitant to plant much out front because I had 2 bananas ripped out the day after I planted them.

Before

After

Comments (14)

• steiconi
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

amazing, that's just like yards in my neighborhood--right down to the chain link fence and stolen bananas!

Gorgeous!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

That is GORGEOUS! I have a HUGE front yard, but don't plant anything unusual there - thieves in the night are EVERY WHERE!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You've done a great job with your new yard. Plant poaching is a problem here as well. There was even an article in the Washington Post a year or two ago about it. Most of my more desirable plants are behind an 8' privacy fence.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Two thumbs up! Are those wax Begonias - the short red plants in the back yard?

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! The 2 bananas were just messed with not actually stolen. They ripped a leaf off of one and snapped one off and ripped it out of the ground. I planted some hardy cactus in the up rooted bananas place and moved the other one further back from the sidewalk. Some people in this po-dunk little town just don't appreciate something new and different.

purpleinopp - Just some regular old 62 cent each tuberous begonias for some color. Definitely need more colorful flowers in the front of the beds. I'm all tapped out at the moment though. :)

Jay

P.S. Here's some pics of the damage!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Congratulations on some beautiful results for all that hard work. The before and after pics are very interesting. Will the plants be able to stay out in the winter or will you have to bring them all in?

• lindenska
    11 years ago

I love the yard. There's someone in my town with bananas on their front yard, I wonder where they go come september as I do with all the palm trees too...

It's a shame some people are destructive like that.

But, do the bananas die in the fall?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

The two legged monsters are everywhere! We are planning a move to Fallbrook CA where there are many avocado groves, and the local newspapers have a lot of articles about thieves taking the produce right out of the orchards!

Fences or gates don't stop them, but prickly pear does! I plan on huge prickly pear barriers around each of my orchard sections, and I also plan to enjoy the pads as vegetables, and the fruit too.

Sorry about your Banana disaster. Your yard looks great! Is that a potting shed?

• hookilau
    11 years ago

@ lindenska:

I live in NY and plan to put my bananas in the ground. I bought Musa Basjoo. This banana will not only fruit, but it's supposed to be cold hardy as well. Mine says it grows to 10' more or less.

I haven't quite decided how I'm going to proceed with mine as yet since I don't have a greenhouse. From what I've read, you could do one of 3 things, bring it in for the winter, cut down (it will regenerate again in the spring) or just leave it as is with some protection against the elements.

Since mine is still quite small (only about 2 feet tall) and has several pups, I plan to re-pot and give away most of 'em save one or 2 in hopes of getting fruit.

On bananas.org there's tons of info regarding growing nanners.

• grullablue
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL plantings!!!

• ichoudhury
    11 years ago

Very Impressive!

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    11 years ago

everyone,
    here is a link to the photos of his place I took yesterday Aug 4, 2012- unbelievable guys!

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Jay's Tropics

• david883
    11 years ago

Great job! Looks amazing! I love cannas!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's AMAZING! I absolutely love it! Great job!!!!!