Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
padma_2009

Leaf & leaf bud growth advice needed

padma_2009
14 years ago

Hi,

I have just started an edible backyard with some Asian fruit plants that i bought online. The plants are just 2 feet tall with just 6-9 leaves on it. I would love to have any advice on growing lushier green plants. I dont want the plants to flower or fruit as yet but I need to know if there is any spray for making the leaves and leaf buds to grow more vigorously. Been browsing the net for such stuff and found a 'Grow N Spray'.. has anyone used it before? Thanking you all in advance... :)

Padma

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It would help if we knew what plants you are talking about. There's a product called Spray n Grow that I'm aware of. It's a foliar feed used in conjunction with CoCo Wet and Bill's Perfect Fertilizer. I think they are wonderful products and use them on just about all my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray n Grow trio

• padma_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn,

My fruit plants are Sugar apple (2 feet in height, seedling), Sapodilla (2 ft in height, grafted, May pride peach tree( 8 feet, 3 year old), 2 orange plants (tangarine & tangelo both grafted, 4-5 feet height). I have some vine veggie plants that I would like to increase the foliage on also.

Have u used Spray N Grow? Please do let me know how I need to use it? Does it really increase the leaves and branches in a plant? i live in phoenix, arizona and the temps are above 100f these days. So is it safe to use them on my plants now?

Padma

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Check out the tropical fruit database for specific plant info. I use SnG every 3-4 weeks and do think it helps with growth. I use this in addition to other fertilizers and micro-nutrients. In your climate I'd think it would be best to do a foliar feeding very early in the morning but you might want to check with other gardeners in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: database

• padma_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn!!

I checked the plant data base. It says that I need to wait for the plant to grow its roots the first year...:( so maybe I will wait till the end of this year before I start the SnGrow. I am sure the temps will be around 50 F then, so do u think I can use the spray then?

Padma

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I don't see any reason why you couldn't start feeding with the SnG right away. Even though it's a foliar feed it's still just a fertilizer and is good for the plant as a whole. I just wouldn't spray in the heat of the day or at night. That's a good rule of thumb for a foliar feed in any climate. If the plants will go through a dormant phase in your area I wouldn't feed during that time and would wait for active growth to begin. I have many plants that I have to let go dormant because of limited greenhouse space and I usually stop feeding about 4 weeks prior to dormancy. I think there might be a tropical fruit forum here, not sure but you might want to check. You could likely get more info and being in 7a what I do will probably be different then what you do.

• padma_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn 1,

The temperatures are just over 100 F these days. If I want to use SnG when do u think would be the best time? Is it early in the morning. The sun is up before 5:30 am is there till after 7:00 pm in the evening. Please do let me know when would be the best time to spray?

padma