Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone with Heliconias or Gingers in SW Florida?

Posted by felipo (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 13:05

Recently planted Heliconias and Gingers in the ground in SW Florida. Everyone tells me they do well in this area, except the people who planted them. They say they are plants suited for a higher elevation and will not do well here. They do not want to honor a warranty they have already given me because of that. It is too early to tell how they will do---they just got planted.
Would be interested to hear from people growing Heliconias and Gingers in SW Florida and their opinions on how they do in this area. Also, what fertilizer do you use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone with Heliconias or Gingers in SW Florida?

I live in SW Florida and they do great. I have Heliconia Rostrata and gingers who's names I don't remember off hand. THey are mulched. I use a variety of fertilizers.

o

I am thinking they just want to get away with not honoring their warranty in case something dies!! Glad to hear yours are doing well. I am looking forward to getting blooms!
Is there a specific fertilizer or type of fertilizer that you use?

o

The only plants I ever got with a guarantee came from Lowes and I had to keep the receipt. I don't use any fancy fertilizer, I use Miracle-grow or Dynamite. Heavy mulching is what I think really helps.

o

I have bunch of heliconias and gingers and live in South Florida. They all do great.
I have heliconia Criswick, Lobster claw pendant, Lobster claw upright 2, Green thumb, episcopalis, Kawauchi, 5am, Flash, Hot Flash, purpurea, Fondeur,dwarf Jamaican, Firebird...
As far as gingers go: I have numerous costus, alpinias, hedychiums, curcumas, etlingera elatior, and they all do fine. Curcumas and some of the costus goes into dormancy, but comes back every year.
I use tropical fruit and plants mix from the Excalibur nursery. I also mulch them heavily.
Good luck with yours, they do add to the tropical look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here