Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cordyline...how much sun can it take?

Posted by Gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 13:13

I recently got a red cordyline (Ti plant) and am wanting to put it outdoors. Just how much sun can it take without burning the leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cordyline...how much sun can it take?

I recently got a few ti plants as well. I have them on a side deck in pots for now with afternoon shade/morning sun. I put mine in the shade for a week then gradually moved them to full sun. The leaves on the red one and the peter buck burned but the kiwi one was okay. So I moved the other two into partial sun and they are doing well again.

o

• Posted by Kameha z9b/10a Heat:10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 4:11

I have ti plants that have been growing in full sun for 4 years now...with no signs of leaf burn. Maybe they just have to get used to it? They have reddish leaves.

o

They can take full sun. Mine died to the ground this winter, but are now coming back. I don't know the variety, I bought them at HD. They are mostly a hot pink in color.

o

Maybe I just need to give mine some more time to get used to it then. I really want to plant mine in the ground eventually.

o

Aloha,

Ti plants grow in full sun with no problem. If your plant has been a house plant for awhile, though, it might need "hardening off" before it goes out to full time sun. Put it in a shady spot outside and move it more and more into the sun . Eventually it will be out in the full sun.

They grow faster and fuller with partial shade and loads of water although the soil should drain. I can't remember any ti plants growing in water like taro, but they do grow faster with more water. Wind doesn't bother them too much, but if the wind is strong they might get shredded leaves.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here