Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very overgrown Variegated Cassava. Cut back now?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 13:40

I picked up one on clearance last week. The poor thing was in a two gallon-ish pot, about 6 feet tall, two main trunks, branched widely about 2 1/2 feet up (must have pinched it), and floppy and top heavy as all get-out. It's pretty but basically a mess.

I've never had one of these, but everything I read seems to indicate they're easy to grow, and easy to propagate by stem cuttings.

Think I should just whack it back now, put the cuttings in to root, and hope it makes a decent, more compact and manageable plant by the end of the summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very overgrown Variegated Cassava. Cut back now?

They are very easy to grow and propagate. But they have a tendency to leggyness. I had one grow near a tree where it was a bit shady. So it used the tree as a support and got to over 5 metres tall. But out in the sun (all day) they will be a bit bushier and stronger. You can only propagate from cuttings, the tubers will rot if you cut them off and plant. And cuttings just take so easily. You'll end up with a plantation in no time.

o

Thanks, that confirms what I read and what I thought. It's going to be hot here the next week or so, which will mean warm soil, should be ideal rotting conditions for a tropical plant. I'll use rooting hormone powder just to be sure, but with as many cuttings as I get from this thing, probably easily 25/30 six inch cuttings, I'm not concerned if many don't take. I'm sure the end result will be at least one, and probably far more, nice, smaller, neater looking plants.

o

I lived in a remote area some years back and for the local indigenous people I set them up with 'cassava plantations'. My propagation method was to cut up the stems and leave them to dry off/heal over for a couple of days. Then there were less worries about rot getting into them. Instead of harvesting a whole plant at a time we would just take a tuber from one side and refill the hole with wood ash. This way you could work your way around a few plants at a time and get enough as food without losing the whole plant. They loved the wood ash and regenerated new tubers quite rapidly. Of course, those weren't the variegated ones. So sandy soil, lots of sun, wood ash, and they were very happy little campers.

o

Thank you for your help. I did mean to say good "rooting" conditions, not "rotting" conditions. Surgery is tonight or tomorrow!

o

Good luck. Do you have plant health insurance? LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here