Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Anyone grow Centradenia (Heterocentron) 'Trailing Tibouchina'?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I just bought my third Centradenia (also called Heterocentron), commonly called "Spanish Shawl" or "trailing Tibouchina". There is very little information available on these guys. They are great little plants, and I'm surprised they are not more commonly grown. I'm wondering if others have pictures of any other species or hybrids.

I'm also curious whether anyone can make sense of the naming of these plants. Besides Centradenia and Heterocentron, I've also seen Dissotis used. If one does a search for "Heterocentron Elegans" there seem to be at least two significantly different plants pictured. It's very confusing.

Heterocentron/Centradenia is in the family Melastomataceae and as such are closely related to Tibouchinas, among other genera. The ones I have grown seem to have fairly similar pink/magenta flowers, and differ in their growth habits and leaf size/color. I believe there is/are white flowered species. They are tender perennials, I think sometimes grown as annuals in colder places (if they are grown much at all).

Here's a picture of the first one that I bought, probably about 3 years ago at a local nursery. I since lost it due to a move. It was sold to me as Centradenia 'Cascade' and it is a sprawling/creeping groundcover/hanging basket plant. The leaves would be more bronze/reddish with more sun:

The next two I've bought separately at Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden) over the last month or so. Heterocentron elegans (left) and Heterocentron floribundum (right). The H. floribundum is tiny, but will ultimately make a sprawling bush a couple feet tall (or it can be thought of as a tall groundcover).

Does anyone grow any other species/varieties or have any experience with these? I will be propagating at least the H. elegans later in the summer and will likely have at least a limited number available for trade/postage. The plant roots where it touches the ground, so propagation is pretty trivial.

All of the plants pictured were purchased for about $5 each. The Centradenia 'Cascade' came in a 4 inch pot.

Comments (3)