Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flossieann

non blooming Hibiscus

flossieann
14 years ago

I have two Hibiscus that are in 18 inch pots and are several years old (maybe six or seven) they have always bloomed profusely through the summer but this year there's not a single bloom. I also have one that's been trained into tree form and it's been blooming for several weeks. I have fed them all bloom booster on a regular basis but these two pots don't show a sign of blooming. The plants themselves look like they couldn't be any healthier. Any ideas? Does anyone know if being potbound could prevent blooming? Any help would be much appreciated. Both plants are in full sun.

Comments (2)

• donaldb
    14 years ago

If anything,being potbound would make them bloom. I live in Massachusetts and have a couple of trees that have been in the same pots for 6 years or so. They get pruned and spend the winter indoors. Being in Massachusetts and you in Georgia my trees do not come into bloom until late August and continue to bloom until the temps drop to 50 degrees. Unfortunately this is all I have to offer.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Osmocote, super phosphate and Epsom salts. Mix one tablespoon Epsom salts per one gallon of water. Water once with this solution and again every four weeks. Use Osmocote per the instructions. It will fertilize every time you water. Also mix in a tablespoon of super or Triple phosphate once each season. You will see buds within 3-4 weeks. What kind of hibisuses do you have?