Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jatropha pruning

Posted by sunnyfl363 Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 14:48

I planted my first Jatropha, I believe its a multifidia, last summer in the front flowerbed of my house. It gets direct sunlight and regular water. A year later, it has more than doubled in size, blooming consistently. The plant has about 5 bigger stems at the bottom which have sprouted smaller stems. These stems are very gangly and top heavy with leaves and flowers; making the plant bend forward. I've tried to straighten the longer stems by tying them back to a metal trellis for support. Will this help any? I can't find any exact tips on how and when to prune this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jatropha pruning

The Jatrophas are very hardy and can take a lot of pruning. I prune mine back heavily every spring to make it look better and it always comes back . I have the J.Multifida and it tends to lose its leaves in the winter and also the leaves look diseased. Pruning brings it back to a healthy looking plant.
Take a look at the link to a Florida Gardening post.

Regina

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Jatrophas

o
RE: Jatropha pruning

• Posted by four 9B (near 9a) (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 12:11

One plant became large enough to bloom last year.
Shaped like a palm tree: single thick tall trunk, no branches, many leaves.
Only at pinacle did it flower, so few for so large a plant.

I am thinking that perhaps my four seedlings somehow can be
made to grow multiple trunks,
thus having more flowering pinnacles.
Or to grow branches, if this species does branch.
Heights are 16", 14", 9", 7".

Guidance, please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here