Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geostv

Gardening in Central America, La Antigua, Guatemala

geostv
17 years ago

Hello all, I am an avid gardener in Portland, Oregon, and am relocating to Antigua, Guatemala. I haven't been able to find much info on the zonal equivalent it is in. To confuse matters even more, we go by sunset zones out here in the Pacific Northwest (where it was 51 degrees this morning!).

I am guessing Antigua is in a subtropical zone. The reason I am trying to figure this out ahead of time is so I can order some new garden design books for planning my new garden. I am originally from Miami so this is sort of heading back to my gardening 'roots' LOL! I am hoping to hook up with some fellow garderners once I get there.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Comments (22)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

As far as I know, Antigua is a full tropical zone. The ocean may keep it from being extremely hot, but it's south of Cuba, so you don't get much more tropical than that!

• aroideana
    17 years ago

But Antigua is up over 1000 meters above sea level , its a very pleasant place ..much better than living in the sweltering lowland tropics , you will find a few very serious collectors around there if you are lucky .

• TonyfromOz
    17 years ago

I agree with heathen: at 15 deg N lat. it should be fully tropical. Antigua's altitude is around 1500 m or 5000 ft, which will moderate the heat a little, but it's doubtful you would ever get anything like the freezes that Florida has every few years.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Can I go with you!!! Guatamala has at least 12 climate zones due to tropical convergence and altitude. At that altitude I would guess between 65/ 80 year around. the big difference would be how much rainfall and when.Another factor is the runoff from snows at high altitude they moderate temps dramaticly.
    I frequently go to Costa Rica and Panama but have never been to Guatamala.
    i would wait until established to design a garden you may want to think vertical for epiphytes.
    One thing for sure, you will have fantastic weeds!!lol
    Please keep us informed!! You're living my dream lol
    gary

• costaricafinca
    17 years ago

We live in Guanacaste, Costa Rica, inland at 700 mts. There are so many 'differant climatic'areas changing just around the corner, it is hard to know until you are acually planting something to see whether you plantings will survive or flourish. We get strong winds here, in Oct-Dec that can flatten a young tree! So, I would advise you to scope out the trees in the area you wish to start your garden.
    I have started my garden in what was just pasture land, with a small workers house on it. At least this acts as a wind break, and now the rainy season is upon us after months of no rain, many plants which seemed that I would have to reposition have 'perked up' after becoming established.
    But, I'm afraid that the wind will kill anything but the most hardy if planted away from this building.

• geostv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, it is so nice to see that the Tropical forums are as friendly and as helpful as my home forum, Pacific Northwest Gardening. It seems that gardeners everywhere are just really nice people. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I ordered 'The Subtropical Garden' from Amazon, I figure that is a good starting point.

I also got an offer to take a trip to an orchid nursery up in the cloud forest at Coban, so I am off to a great start. It is so hard to give up a garden one has created. My current home garden is a japanese maple grove design. I am really excited about starting a new garden and am sure I will meet many new garden buddies on this forum. Thanks again - George

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Well, if you need help, I'll come down and stay and show you how. :D

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    How is the political situation there?? The war seems to be over but I'm told the larger cities have terrible crime rates. Sounds like Florida lol.
    Would really love to visit Colombia or Venezuela. but the state dept. keeps scaring me off.
    gary

• Lars
    17 years ago

Here's the average weather for Guatemala City, which is very similar to Antigua. Actually, Antigua is very slightly higher in altitude and so might be a couple of degrees cooler. I remember seeing lots of bromeliads there. When I went, they were at war with Belize (and Britain), but I found the soldiers to be very friendly.

Lars

• hicotton
    17 years ago

Hi All:
    So glad to discover this site. It makes for very helpful reading.
    Re: the above, we have the same situation (climatic, not political) here in Panama. In Boquete, where I live, there are microclimates galore. We're about a half hour from the beach at 4,000 ft. altitude and tho folks have told me camellias can't be grown here, we have three healthy generic babies and know about more squirreled away in other closeby micro-climates. Would be interested in knowing if anyone else on this forum has experience with camelias down here -- or in the mountains. Another interesting surprise has been the Spanish moss that crops up occasionally. Being from Savannah, I've always thought of Spanish moss in lowland terms and associated with live oaks. Here it is not as dainty and seems to hang off a variety of trees and shrubs. Also, our damaging winds come in January-February and I'm told virtually every part of Central America gets them at some time of the year. One of our orchids (a baby Dracula) blew off its tree during one of these storms and headed for parts unknown.
    For these and other reasons, I echo what CostaRicaFinca suggested; it really makes good sense to get situated and see what your own area is like and what unique little treasures it has in store for you. By the way, garyfla, Panama is a great place if you're looking for a stable political situation, low crime and folks who actually LIKE Americans.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    have been planning another trip to Costa Rica and may try to go to Panama also. I love those mountains.
    Last time I thought about it the US invaded to remove Noriega . Time before that couldn't get within 3 miles of the border due to the war in Nicaragua.lol
    I think if I were to move to the area to live it would probably be in CR. Don't see that happening as my wife hates the jungle lol.
    You got to be kidding !! Not even Americans like Americans lol
    Oh well, Have been doing a lot of reading on the S.Pacific lol
    gary

• PuraVida
    17 years ago

geostv,

I am in Costa Rica.

Antigua, Guatemala is full tropical. I am at about 1000 mts in the central valley here. I would suggest starting with some indigenous plants as well as the more common ornamentals you will see around that area. When I started, I planted everything I could get my hands on. I also planted all the seeds from the fruits I ate, and acquired divisions of other basic food crops such as bananas. Once you know when the rainy season is make a point to plant right after that begins. If you have a long dry season there be ready to keep things watered the first few years, if it's a protected spot you might not have to do that. Do you know how much space you're going to have? There are some beautiful clumping bamboos that are NOT invasive that you can easily grow in that zone, they grow fast and are very impressive. Any houseplants you liked back up north will most likely grow to humongous size with little or no help outside. Check out the local nurseries when you get there.

good luck!
    Pura Vida

Here is a link that might be useful: garden photo blog

• Alyce Venice
    15 years ago

Hello from St John USVI,
    Geostv you are getting good advice. Wait till you get settled in to do any garden planning or planting. We moved from zone 5/6 to 10/11. I was so excited I could garden year around I ordered plants, had things dug up from my garden and sent and bought lot's and lot's of books. I have found my best source of gardening books is to go to a Barnes and Noble in Miami which has the closest zone to St John. Start a calendar diary of where the sun is and the average wind on each area of your new home. When you are closer to the equator the positon of the sun is dramatically different each time of year. I put an orchid garden in an area which I thought was shaded only to find a month later it got direct sun and burned all the plants. My garden workers which get $25.00 an hour laugh at me and tell me they will never be out of work as I am constantly moving everything.I started my garden in 1997 and it is a huge learning curve. I have learned that the plants and look I want and what will do well are not necessarily cooperative. Other factors I had never considered cows that roam the island and feast on Hibiscus or goats that can climb sheer rocks and eat anthing and everything in your garden. Our entire garden is fenced and I have a cattle guard across the entrance or there would be no garden.
    On a happpier note I now have a prized and beautiful garden I have just about every tropical plant and some that I have challenged to grow I can't live without such as roses.I have been very successful with Vanda orchids from Thailand heirloom roses from Vintage gardens and Antique Rose Emporium and Plumeria which other gardenweb members have shared with me.I will email you the titles of my favorite
    tropical gardening books. So many have great pictures but no real information.If I can share cuttings or seeds of anything let me know. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on Gardenweb but I am technically challenged. I can email pictures with no problem. Congratulations on your move you will love gardening in the tropics.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Since this post is over two years old . How is your garden growing ??lol Curious as to how it worked out gary

• pbunch
    15 years ago

Gary:

Things in Colombia are much improved compared to 5 years ago. There are places where you could have trouble but most of the big cities are ok. I live in Medellin and while there is street crime it's not all that bad. If you are an experianced traveler with some Spanish I think you would be just fine.

Phil Bunch
    Medellin/Piedras Blancas

• flora2
    15 years ago

Hi
    I am glad you like it there. I am originally from Peru but never did any gardening while living at home. I so much wish I had. I live in the Seattle area and do my best to fill my garden with tropicals--which is a lot of fun until I have to haul everything into the garage every winter--and even then I always lose something.
    One of the things (maybe the main thing) I miss about gardens at home is the fragrance--it is probably the warmth that brings out the intensity. I bet it is very exciting to start over and be learning new things. Wish you luck.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Phil
    Thanks for that "positive " report!! Everything I hear is soooooo negative . Of course what I would be interested in is the parks where I could see some of those fantastic landscapes and wildlife. I hear these are the most dangerous parts due to the kidnappings.
    I suspect the "drug wars" will continue long after i'm gone. As long as Florida keeps buying it Colombia will keep selling it.??
    I have some friends in Venezuela which could show me around Would seem a terrific advantage to have someone who knows the area as well as speaks the language well.
    Have been to Costa Rica , and Belize and enjoyed them alot
    Thanks again gary

• marialeigh
    14 years ago

If someone could help with gardening in Solola, Guatemala, I would be grateful. I live at 7000 ft where the days stay in the 70's but we get a heavy frost in January and February that kills everything. Roses do well, as do calla lilies. I tried a hydrangea but it is not doing well. Even my bougainvillea are slow to grow and flower. Any ideas?

• Alyce Venice
    14 years ago

Hi Marialeigh,
    Doesn't sound like Tropical Forum is going to be as helpful to you as possibly California Forum. It is a huge learning curve climate wise. Sounds like your climate may be similar to San Francisco. I am surprised hydrangeas are
    not doing well for you. Look at local neighbors gardens
    also maybe bulbs ?
    Good Wishes AJ

• HU-14653700
    5 years ago

Hello Tropical Gardener,

When I read that you have lived in Portland, I felt compelled to write you.....Keizer, here.....

I was reading a book about Early South American culture and gardening was one of the subtopics. We Americans are set in tradition to grow all our corn in one row, beans in another, and on and on. Everything separated. Archaeologists (sp) have found that the typical early native garden would drive the typical American crazy; beans vines winding up around corn stalks, all sorts of plants mixed in with others. The learned purpose was that one vegetable would deplete the soil of one or more elements, while another plant would put those same elements back into the soils. American farmers have practiced crop rotation for decades, and they commonly plant a legume plant (clover, for example), to fix nitrogen into the soil. Our farmers could learn a lot more from those early people’s. The scientists who studied the remains of these early gardens concluded that the gardens were much richer than adjacent soils that had not been farmed or gardened.

After reading some of the comments in this thread, I realized that your gardening goals are more in landscape, rather than vegetables,, but thought you might like to know that those people referred to as “ignorant savages” in our history books were pretty damned smart. Also, getting somewhat scientific with your plants might be fun for you.

Take care,

Bill

• HU-335971450
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Geostv,

We too are avid gardeners from Maine in Antigua. I wonder if you are still there, how your garden grows, and what books, if any, you have found helpful? We're just getting ready to head back after the pandemic kept us in the US.

Take care, be well, tova