Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sooty mold on Gardenia

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 15:10

What is the best way to prevent ( as opposed to cure ) sooty mold on Gardenias. Does it help to grow them indoors? How much sun do they need?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sooty mold on Gardenia

I gave my Gardenia a severe pruning this spring because the leaves looked so bad from the sooty mold. I've been putting used coffee grounds around the base of the plant and so far, the leaves look healthy, there is no sooty mold and the ants are staying away. Mine gets full sun from noon on and it is outside. I don't know how well it would do inside.

o

I always had trouble with sooty mold on the shaded side of gardenia shrubs in south FLorida. Good air circulation (about 10 cm minimum of clearance) around all sides of the plants helped too.

Make sure they are receiving full sun, especially if close to an irrigation head.

o

To prevent sooty mold, you need to get rid of the insects on your plant(scale, aphids or mealy bugs usually). Sooty mold grows on the honeydew secreted by the insects.Repeated blasting with water from your hose should get rid of them, or you could use an insecticidal soap.
When you have the insects under control fertilize the plant regularly with a gardenia/camellia/hibiscus type fertilizer, water well and give an occasional application of epsom salts (this is for Florida's nutrient deficient alkaline soils - not sure what type of soil you may have?).
Gardenias like a good amount of sun - perhaps light shade in the middle of the day. I think that growing them indoors would be a lot of trouble and in your zone 11 garden they would be much happier outside.
The key to prevent sooty mold is to get rid of the insects and then a healthy well-fertilized, well-watered plant will have less problems.

o

Again, to prevent aphids and other sucking insects that leave honeydew, you need to ensure a sun loving plant is getting enough sun. ENough sun means strong new growth that is not "weak" and preyed upon by as many aphids, etc.

Even other sun-loving plants like oleanders, mandevilla and kalanchoe flower stems will be covered in aphids if sunlight is not strong enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here