Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2gardening_09

bugs on my Bougainvillea

new2gardening_09
14 years ago

I was given a purple Bougainvillea for my birthday. It is still in the plastic container it came in from the Greenhouse and I wait until it starts to wilt before watering it. It recently started looking sick, some of the leaves are turning yellow and/or curling. I noticed that it has tiny green bugs on it, I'm thinking they are aphids, but not positive. I had my plant in the house but now that it has bugs I've put it outside.

I live in South Dakota so it should love the Summers here because we get hot, but currently we are in a cool rainy spell. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the bugs? A friend suggested soapy water, so I've been spraying with that, but it doesn't seem to be getting completely rid of them.

Thanks in advance!!

Sara

Comment (1)

• venezuela
    14 years ago

If they are aphid you can knock them of with water preasure from the hose. Bougainvilleas love hot and dry weather---they bloom best in the middle of the dry season here. Do not leave it out in the rain if the soil has a lot of organic mater in the mix as you do not want it getting soggy. Still, do not let it wilt either. chris