Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting large Phoenix roebelenii questions.

Posted by holedigger z10 Long beach (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 15:41

The previous owner of my house planted some pygmy date palms in 2 foot wide planters against the foundation in the front of the house. These plants are now much too large for the space and growing up into the eaves. I would like to to transplant them to the backyard. They are are multi trunked and the trunks are approx 6 foot tall, vegetation makes them 8 ft. How far from the base should I dig, and how deep? Any special handling advice? Do I want to use root stimulator after transplanting? Any other advice you might want to add?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting large Phoenix roebelenii questions.

They will transplant easily, but you are going to need some help. The root ball for a Robelenii that size should be around 4' to 5' in diameter and they will weigh several hundred pounds.

Dig the new holes first! Make the holes 6' in diameter and around 3' deep. You are going to plant the palms high so they get positive drainage. Then dig the old ones out of the ground, with help, and put them in their new locations. Before you backfill, run a hose under the palm and fill the hole with water to get out any air pockets. Backfill with the water running, slowly pulling the hose out of the ground.

Water them daily for 2 weeks, then every other day for 2 weeks. Do not fertilize for 2 months after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here