Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
headstrong_gw

What I'm I growing?

headstrong
16 years ago

Hi I live in Central Florida, as you may know we have all the great parks here like Animal Kingdom, Bush gardens, Universal Studios, SeaWorld and so on, They have wonderfull trees there and I make a habbit of taking seed pods from the trees I like. I have planted these seeds and have been able to grow them BUT I have no Idea what they are. can anyone help me identify them. I've had #3 for 4 years and has not flowered someone mentioned it could be a Mimosa tree.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I'm not positive, but the second pic almost looks like a Smoke Tree..they grow pretty fast..One pic does resemble Mimosa..Toni

• bearstate
    16 years ago

1) Looks very interesting with those yellow bordered leaves, but have not ideas as to what it is.

2) Looks like something I have here, Cassia or Senna. I have Cassia Alata and it looks very similar.

3) I get the feeling that this might be one of the acacias or wattles, often more arid type trees. Parts of Florida can be arid -right? But this could be a form of poinciana tree, not Delonix, but something that might be called a poinciana.

4) I've seen it before at a tropical plant website that can't be mentioned here because of spam worries. There's a lot there, so you do the keyboard work.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm not sure about the tree with the yellow bordered leaves but it's quite pretty. The pod looks like it's from a tamarind tree.
    Karyn

• flashawnee
    16 years ago

The plant in pic 2 looks like a Tabebuia tree they have long pods that have fluffy seeds or zinnia like seeds inside.
    pic 3 looks like a Mimosa by the leaves, jacarandas and poincianas also have leaves like mimosa's but jacarandas have little points to end of leaves.
    pic 4 the fluffy yellow flower looks like a mimosa but their flowers are pink unless there is a yellow varriety, but the leaves and branches do not look like a Mimosa.
    Whatever you have they are pretty. Enjoy!

• bearstate
    16 years ago

This is Cassia Alata, also known as Senna Alata ...

{{gwi:532960}}

Looks a lot like #2, doesn't it?

Cassias typically get yellow flowers when in bloom and can be anything from a low shrub up to a tree size plant.

• headstrong
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for helping out....

bearstate, #2 does look like what I have.. guess that's it.
    I really like #1, it keeps growing so I guess I'll keep watching it to see if I get another clue.

anyone have any idea on #4? the puffs look yellow but they are actually White and smell pretty good, they also attract allot of butterflies, bees, wasps and so on, the seed pods are hard and very large has thorns and grows slow

• daai_tou_laam
    16 years ago

We have #4 blooming right now down by the ferry pier. I can't think of the name off the tip of my tongue, but I know where I can look it up. Hopefully I'll be able to give you an answer this afternoon.

• daai_tou_laam
    16 years ago

#4 is albizia lebbeck.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1310637}}

• headstrong
    Original Author
    16 years ago

daai_tou_laam.. Thanks for your feedback all the way from Hong Kong, how great is that!
    the flowers and the leaves look like it But my tree has thorns and the seed pods are thick and don't hang from the tree but stick up like branch not like the albizia lebbeck photos I found on google. unless it's some species of the albizia. the albizia leaves look more like the mimosa photo #3, but in 4 years this tree has not flowered don't know why.