Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

Questions about guava tree

mrao77
17 years ago

I have a guava tree in a large pot (dont know the variety)that is flowering for the first time!! Wowieeeeeeee :)

I was wondering if someone with experience with guavas would give me info about what I need to do to make sure I get a bunch of delicious fruit :)

I am in TX,( zone 7b?)and overwinter the plant inside and bring it out in full sun during the summer. It seems to like my idea so far.

Thanks for any advice,

M

Comments (5)

• bihai
    17 years ago

MOst guavas are hardy to the high 20's. My neighbor in Los Angeles had a very old tree that bore tons of fruit every year, it was great! It hung over our fence so we got to pick some. I don't know about culture though. Hope you do get fruit!!

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

They seem to me to be pretty tough... just keep the squirrels away... I had them strip another guava tree when they were still green. We should compare notes....

• mrao77
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I hope I will get to taste yummy guavas this year :) A nice person in my neighborhood had a Huge tree in a HUGE pot, saw me drooling at his juicy guavas and decided to give me a sucker that had popped below! I never expected it would grow so quickly and bear fruit! I cant wait...yikes !!
    Sure heather, send me an email and we can figure out how to grow guavas and other stuff too :)
    M

• lovesumi
    15 years ago

I bought a strawberry Guava tree a month ago. It's still in a pot and I keep it in my living room. It's been living okay but it sheds leaves and keeps losing small fruits. It doesn't have yellow leaves or doesn't look like it's dying though.
    How do I keep this tree happy and healthy and eventually have fruits?

• User
    15 years ago

Keep in mind that the name "guava" is used for a number of different species. I have been growing the so-called "tropical" guava (Psidium guajava)? It flowered earlier in the summer and is now covered with the fruits. Don't know quite what to do with them--I know people are crazy for this tree and its fruit in Latin America. I don't have room in my house for many of the plants so I keep a lot of them in my two-car garage that I use as a greenhouse. It faces due South, the top two rows are all glass so it gets tons of sun--especially in the winter. The guava is the most tender plant that I have in the garage over the winter, so if it's okay, I know all the others are fine. The minimum temp is usually around 40 F in the dead of winter on really cold days and maximums may only be in the upper 40's . I don't recommend these low temp for the tropical guava but it came through the winter with all its leaves and is fruiting now
    so it is a tough. (I've even had one loose all its leaves come back in the Spring!) The "strawberry guava" is more cold tolerant than P. guajava and would probably appreciate a cool location when you overwinter it inside. Hope this helps. Good luck!