Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjt108

Flowering plants in the Caribbean

pjt108
17 years ago

My son is building a new home in the Caribbean and my grand daughter wants to plant a garden outside her bedroom window. What type of flowering plants will grow in the Caribbean?

Comments (6)

• unautre
    17 years ago

Your question has the wrong polarity!

What flowering plants WON'T grow in the Caribbean? :)

I have visited Jamaica twice for a total of 3 weeks. Tons of flowering plants and trees, plus foliage, palms, bananas, bamboo.

Best is to go walk-about there.
    Much is growing wild.
    Over choice!

Ginger of course is the easy one.

I saw many flowering plants, and lots of variegated foliage, like Coleus, and many different varieties of Croton that grow to size of small trees.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics to post here.

You won't in general be able to import plants due to strict plant quarantine laws.

• pjt108
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My son lives in the Turks & Caicos Islands - they are a very dry, arid island mass - not like Jamaica at all! So need plants that will thrive in that type of environment.

• ARAD
    17 years ago

Lots of Plumerias, Heliconias (these will need irrigation though), Gardenias, Oleander,Amherstia Nobilis (highly recomended) flowering Anthuriums for the shaded parts (lots of moisture, again) and so on. How big the area?

• unautre
    17 years ago

Jamaica can be extremely dry for a period of months.

Your only choices are the plants that are already on the island, so the definitive answer will be found by looking around down there.

• Adam Harbeck
    17 years ago

If you want annual type flowers, the madagascan periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus) grows really wellin the dry tropics. Oleanders are equally hardy as are Bougainvilleas.

• costaricafinca
    17 years ago

What locale in the Caribbean? Makes a huge differance!