Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rumpelstiltskin_gw

Bougainvillea wilting/dropping leaves

rumpelstiltskin
17 years ago

Hello,

I'm in Dallas, zone 8A, and have a large potted bougainvillea that sits out on our pool deck. It gets full sun probably 8 hours a day.

It didn't start to bloom until a few weeks ago. Before that time, the leaves were just fine. They weren't falling off and the plant never wilted.

Before it started blooming, I didn't really water my boug all that much.

Now, it seems like it needs water every day. The temps have been in the low-to-mid 90's here in Dallas over the past couple of weeks. I have been watering it when the leaves start to wilt.

They now wilt mid afternoon and I do notice that it is shedding some of its leaves.

When I probe the soil using a Rapitest moisture meter (range 1-4, 1 approaching complete dry, 4+ is wet), it says that the soil is a 3. Down near the bottom of the pot, it's at 4 (wet).

Am I overwatering this plant?

I have a feeling I'm giving my boug too much attention.

Should the the soil be "dry" all the way down before I water it again?

If I cam overwatering this, what I can I do to restore this quickly so I don't have a wilting plant sitting in my backyard for weeks...

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

-S

Comments (11)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

I think it is getting too much water. A four on a water meter is prob too wet for bouggies. I let mine dry out under a 1 for my potted ones. It is hard not too overbaby them when they are blooming and looking beautiful lol. I am guilty of this myself.
    They seem to need a little more water when blooming but I tend to overwater more than underwater in general, so I wait for that meter to read They are tough drought resistant plants so I wouldnt worry that they dont get enough water.
    When I lived in Phx,AZ, they had them planted on the freeway dividers in hot sun and asphalt and they bloom like mad. The only water they got was from mother nature lol.
    good luck
    ~SJN

• rumpelstiltskin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a follow-up. It turns out that it needed water. During these hot summer months, my bouga needs water just about everyday. I water it until it pools up in the tray (usually about 2 gallons of water - it's a large pot). It recovers usually in a hour or so.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Wow... it's much hotter and dryer here in Sacramento and our bougs can't take daily water... They don't get daily water in the Yucatan either, and I've seen them big as houses there. I think that you are over watering it and eventually will lose it.

• jgevans_na_live_com
    13 years ago

I have wilting leaves on a propagated cutting from the mother plant. I am desiring to grow in pots as Bonsai. I have successfully grown Bonsai but this is my first attempt with a Bougainvillea. So far I water the mother plant as it is almost completely on the extreme dry side...I live south of San Antonio and the weather is about 87+...very nice and mild.

Also, when should I repot the mother plant? The cuttings are about 1 week old amd doing fine so is it ok to re-pot the mother plant in a smaller pot by cutting no more than 1/4 of the root mass, filling with good bonsai soil, with small lava rocks on the bottom and screens covering the drainage holes.

They must have drainage holes or the plant will develop root rot. The roots must be able to breath and the pot must be kept off the ground, facing south if possible where it recieves the East to west sun for at least 5 hours per day.

Any advice is welcome and hopefully I canm be of help, as well.

• Sylianna McCarty
    7 years ago

Hello! I am hoping you can help me. I bought a potted bougainvillea for my daughter and, originally, we had it out on the back porch. About a month ago, I brought it in and hung it in a huge picture window where it still gets plenty of sunlight. However, we didn't always pull the curtain back. Now, any time we expose the bougainvillea to sunlight, it immediately begins to wilt. As soon as we put it back in shade, the plant perks right back up. Do you have any idea as to what is wrong with it? The plant is full and beautiful, but due to lack of sun, no blooms. Thank you.

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

They do like hot direct sun and not too much water. But if you've been keeping it under weak light then you have to expect the new shoots and leaves to wilt when they are exposed to direct sun. Another issue is if you've been over watering there could be root rot. The damaged root system wouldn't be able to keep up sufficient water to the plant when evaporation from the leaves increases. Those are two of the possibilities.

• Sylianna McCarty
    7 years ago

Thank you very much...and I was afraid of that. The plant isn't over watered. I don't water it often unless the soil is dry. As I said, the plant is thick, full and beautiful, but lacks blooms. I was worried it'd adapted to low light, though. I'd like the plant to bloom. lol Any suggestions as to how to re-adapt the plant to direct light?

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

It depends on where you are and the climate there. Ideally, it would be best if it was outside in full sun. If it's been in low light you can start out by putting it under a tree without a heavy canopy. Put it where the sunlight filters through. Over a matter of weeks you should be able to move it slowly into areas where it gets more direct sun. Don't over fertilise it, especially with anything that has a high nitrogen (N) component.

• HU-644012980
    5 years ago

I have two bougainvillas and they were beautiful. They were blooming and then all the blooms fell off. Now, the shrub looks dry, small leaves and does not grow at all. I think I overwatered at one time but let it dry out right now, If I overwatered, would'nt it make water shoots? But the way it looks now, it is pitiful. We live in So. Californis and it gets sun all day and right now it is very hot, We had one very hot day (110 degrees) and after that it just didn't do anything anymore. Ca anyone give me any advice?

fräulein

• Tan Lee
    3 years ago

Shock pruning will bloom in a month under min 27'c