Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guava

Posted by thegardenzone 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 19:26

I just purchased a 3 gallon guava plant from Walmart. There was no specific label to what type it was, has anyone had any experience with this plant, like what kind of fertilizer to use? Would avocado/citrus fertilizer work? Or know what kind they sell? thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guava

gardenzone,

Can you post a pic, I only have one and it is a Pineapple Guava. I know there are so many different varieties.

Are you planting it in the ground, or potted? Either way you can use slow release fertilizer. In my experience with my Pineapple Guava that is what I use. I buy the 9 month formula of "Dynamite" brand from home depot or W. mart. You can use the Dynamite brand inground and containers with no problems. I apply it in Feb. and I won't reapply again till next Feb. There are several formulas, you can use the green or red containers. If you plant in the ground you can probably use the citrus and apply according to directions. But I would not use that one for containers since it might burn the roots. Check first to make sure it is safe for containers. That's why I like to use the slow release, there is no overfertiling it or burning as long as used as directed.

here's a pic of my Pineapple Guava I planted Nov. 06.

I probably won't ever get fruits, as I was told later that this variety may not fruit here in my area(too hot)? But I still like the tree and it has flowered twice and I love the shape of the tree...Good luck with yours.

o
RE: Guava

here's a pic, thanx for the info

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here