Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amycjes

Medinilla sp.--how do I get blooms?!

amycjes
18 years ago

I have 2 Medinilla plants that I think are M. myriantha, but am not positive(but definitely not M. magnifica). They made it through the winter here with no protection, have tripled in size, and look to be quite happy--but have not bloomed since I bought them with blooms on them last Nov. They get morning sun, afternoon shade, lots of water, high humidity, and have gotten bloombuster style fert.(10-52-10) 3-4 times since Jan. I see others around here blooming like mad, so what's up with mine? Anyone have suggestions? Do they just want some more fertilizer heavy on the P? I haven't found much on the web about Medinilla culture....

Thanks for any advice!

Amy

Comments (13)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    18 years ago

Amy - cut back on the fertilizer and water. You might be killing the plant with kindness. Mine have just started to bloom so be patient. They probably aren't getting enough sun. The one I have that is getting similar sun as you describe is still not blooming. The other one, in full sun, has flowers coming out now.

• annafl
    18 years ago

Mine hasn't started to bloom yet either. It always does, though, I wouldn't worry. Mine is under the same conditions. I wouldn't change the position right now, as it is not the right time to adapt it to more sun. As fawnridge said, don't give it any more fertilizer. I just give mine compost a couple of times a year and it always blooms happily.

• amycjes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, ok, less fertilizer it is, then. thanks for the kind advice!: )

do they bloom during any certain season, or all year?

Amy

• alisonoz_gw
    18 years ago

From sub-tropical east coast Australia, yes to the above suggestions. Too much sun and you will get leaf-burn, too little and you won't get flowers. Mine (probably also myriantha - though I have a couple of smaller different ones unflowered yet) is getting light under cover on a deck most of the day and then direct sun but filtered through western trees of an afternoon. I generally just use slow release fertilizer, occasionally a bit of bloom-booster. It flowers pretty much all year round - well two longish bursts, still going now and we are in winter (but our winters are mild). Though they like moisture they are pretty much epiphytic and shallow rooted and good drainage is essential. If they are in pots, make sure they are raised off the ground.

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

Hi AlisonOz,

I too have some queries re medinilla (probably also myriantha) and am also in subtropical east-coast Australia (Byron Bay).

Over the last 2-3 years, I've had two Probably Myrianthas. Both did okay. Both bloomed. Then I moved (only 20 minutes up the road) and took one with me and left the other under some else's care, where it died.

So now I've just one (the one I took with me). Aaand, although I've tried to create similar conditions to what it was used to (and seemed to like), it's stopped blooming (whereas before they both bloomed year round!) aaand it's also begun to get ... well maybe it's leaf-tip burn, but it really doesnt get much sun (just filtered arvo sun) and the symptoms look more like a type of mould type on the leaves. The leaves crumple and krinkle as well...and then they become fragile - and drop off if you touch them. They not only get "mouldy" at their tips but I note a purple-red 'bruising' at where they're joined to the stem. I've even come to suspect that it's some form of canker (why? ah because I also note that some of its woodier stems have blistered and split open!). I've got this one in a cymbid bark in a black plastic pot. It's been under a balcony (protected from too much rain), gets the SLIGHTEST bit of arvo sun, no morning sun. I water it as i do my orchids - by sitting the pot into a bath of water and letting it soak for a bit. Then it goes back onto it's a humidity pebble tray but the water doesnt touch the bottom of the pot. I feed it orchid strike back very occasionally (which incidently I'm convinced they love - always seem to perk up!). Otherwise its leaves are green and healthy... oh but some have "holes' in them (full circular holes, yep!).

So no, i cannot get to the bottom of what's going on with this leaf-burn or leaf-mould AND the NO-blooming anymore... I'll post some pix in a tick (when I work out how). Any ideas? Any advice?

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

Aerial view of plant - healthy green leaves (with the odd 'hole" in them....)

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

The woody stem "splitting" fiasco...

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

The "mouldy' leaf burn and defoliate at a touch" carry on...

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

The 'red bruising at the stem" palaver... (and we'll leave it at that, bc this is getting embarrassing!). How much can one plant hate its mum? A LOT apparently!

THanks in advance to anyone who can provide any parental guidance!

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

..come on file, upload...

• rexedwardfairy
    11 years ago

Still my medinilla is doing this. It grows new leaves - they are wrinkled at the end.. the older leaves are still doing this mould thing and dropping off at the slightest touch. I think i've reached the end of my patience. I think it's going to the tip...

• Amy
    6 years ago

Years old thread, but did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've had a Medinilla for a few short months and it's doing the same thing - I haven't been able to find a single thread about it. It looks moldy on the leaves and they're curled up. I don't water it very often and I have it in low/medium light conditions, though I just moved it closer to my southwest facing window. I'm afraid to contaminate my other plants, and am not sure what the fix would be.

• Amy
    6 years ago

The third photo leaf was cut when it arrived, so I wonder if the plant was infected from the get go?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?