Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of Vietnamese National Flower

Posted by Toba z10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 21:18

I am looking for the botanical name of the yellow vietnamese national flower called "Mai". Would anyone know this. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of Vietnamese National Flower

If it's the true apricot it is prunus. It seems they have many varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers of Vietnam

o

I dont believe Vietnam location could be this one as that site tells: lol.

Latitude: 102 08' - 109 28' east
Longitude: 8 02' - 23 23' north

o

The flower illustrated in Cactusfreak's link with the name "Yellow Apricot Flower (Hoa Mai)" looks like a species of Ochna. The common SE Asian species appears to be O. integerrima, see link below, though the number of stamens evident seems to differ in these 2 sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ochna integerrima

o

Not sure about the Latin name, but I can add a photo I took in Saigon at Tet this year. And this one was growing in a pot in front of the tour company.

Hoa Mai Saigon 2005 Tet

o

Yeah, I wonder what the latin name for this tree is. When I was in Vietnam I can't help but notice how all those potted Mai all a sudden begin their bloom cycles a few days before the lunar New Year. And when Vietnam biggest holiday comes rolling by, they are just choked with all those bright, exotic yellows from the flowers. One of my relative had a big potted one that had almost no leaves. Then he watered it and all a sudden new buds began to form, followed by the leaves and the flowers.

o

If you weren't conviced by my previous answer, try a Google search on the words 'Vietnam' and 'Ochna' together.

o

• Posted by Toba z10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 22:43

Thanks for all the info.
My plant does look like the ochna integerrima. I could not find a name anywhere before. But the web did have alot of pictures of it at Tet. Thanks so much for your help on this and Daai, thanks for the photos. I can't wait for it to bloom (for the lunar New Year).

o

Hello Toba,
I've been searching for the same plant..I've came across a site that you can order.
http://www.floraexotica.ca/Flower-MickeyMouse.htm
(New Year Flower, Yellow Ochna - Ochna integerrima)

Hope this help. Regards, Susie

o

• Posted by Eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 23:43

The flowers on the link titled Hoa Mai Saigon 2005 Tet looks really large, or is this just the perspective? Some birds seem to like those black berries it produce. Sometimes there's seedlings growing here and there, but haven't seen any lately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here