Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cattleya Percivaliana

Posted by john_dr SEQLD AUST (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 21:49

A picture of a cattleya percivaliana growing in my courtyard.
It is attached to some treated pine trellis when it was an unflowered seedling about 9 years ago and has flowered for about 4 years to date. It seems to be very happy where it is and the flower seems to be getting better with time.
The only cultivation it gets is a regular hosing and fertilizing every couple of weeks in the growing season.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cattleya Percivaliana

Hi
fantastic!!! have tried many types of orchids over the years with mixed results . If a mild winter and the hurricanes are mild I have fair results
A pic of two phals attached to a cassia roxburghii tree
Had an extremely mild winter so got some flowers
Also attached a couple of "floofy" catts growing well but no flowers . Love those Catts !! gary

o

Hi Gary,

Very nice. I've a few phals in pots and on shrubs but they are not in flower at present. One I noticed the other day is sending out a flower spike

We are lucky here in SE Queensland as cyclones are rare here as they make land fall further north. The cyclone season is now over as it is winter here.

o

We have a similar climate to E Queensland and most of my orchids have done a lot better since I started attaching them to trees. Can you grow Cymbidium or is the winter too mild? - Ian

o

I've tried cymbidiums but they seem to not thrive. Some people seem to grow them ok especially the miniature types. Sydney, NSW has probably the best climate for cymbids.

o

There are tropical Cymbidiums. C. madidum likes it warm and C. canaliculatum likes it hot, day temps 36C to 38C. But their flowers are smaller than the cold growing cultivated ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here