Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_palm_crazy

This is amazing! Had to post it!

josh_palm_crazy
15 years ago

I know its probably not unheard of but look what survived my zone 6b/7 winter. Although it was technically a zone 8 winter if you go by the low. I was just surprised to see it in my neighbor's flowerbed when I was pulling some weeds. I planted the EE last year and must have missed some of the bulbs when I dug this group up.

Jay

Comments (8)

• kayjones
    15 years ago

I have had the giant EE survive our 6b winters here for years. I moved and left it behind last year, so don't know if it came back this year or not, but it was over 5 years that it came back with lots of mulch covering it.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

and look how rich that soil looks! No wonder it survived!

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I live in zone 7b and I had a whole lot of tropicals survive this past winter. Philodendrons, Pepperonia, Rex Begonias, Cardamom, etc.

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Nice!! My Sis has bananas in zone 7...Basjoos. They come back stronger and more each year.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Tropical, Basjoos are hardy to zone 5, possibly 4..Funny you mention it, cause I'm on my way outside in a few to plant one in ground..
    I had one before, but some &(&(&() sprayed insecticide and killed it..It was 4 yrs old..This time it's going directly in my garden..

Josh, I wonder how tall it'll be by July..Do you fertilize? Toni

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Toni. Yes I fertilize with plain old Miracle Gro and also Milorganite. I just started using the Milorganite this year so we'll see the results from that soon. Last year I only used Miracle Gro and the pic below was the result. It was my first ever try at EEs. The EEs in my neighbor's bed didn't grow nearly as tall because they're shaded out by a large Locust tree so I'm sure they wont this year either. This year I broke mine up into smaller groups because they were a little overwhelming in the spot I had them in. Heres the pic of mine last year.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Josh, your EE's are amazing..Are you planning on planting more this year? Do you dig up in autumn?
    What's the trench for, if you dont mind me asking? Is it an irrigation system or are you going to set plants inside for summer?
    I see the edge of a palm next to the EE, but not a few view.
    I give up..What's Milogranite? I'll have to check it out..Is it a fertilizer?
    It looks like your EE's were getting plenty of sun where they're planted..Also, is the plant from one bulb or muliple? Great job, Josh..Toni

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Milorganite is a fertilizer with a 5-2-0 or 6-2-0 NPK ratio (depending on where you buy it) that supercharges bananas,cannas,EEs,tropicals etc... You can more or less shovel the stuff on with out burning anything. Just go to www.milorganite.com and check it out.

I don't see the trench you're talking about. Are you talking about the shadow along the bush behind the EEs?

Now about the EEs. Yes. I do dig them up in the fall. I am growing more as we speak. Heres what I have going on this year.

Here are the bulbs from last years large group of EEs.