Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Anyone grow Mutisias?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I'm curious if anyone else grows this genus and has picture of various species.

I'm also interested in hearing how people have been able to propagate these. They are notorious for setting mostly empty/unviable seeds. I've only tried limited attempts to root one species (M. subulata) by cuttings. I've heard cuttings are generally difficult...

Anyway, I just bought a Mutisia oligodon at Annie's Annuals, blooming. I take no credit for the blooms--this is what they looked like in the nursery. I had earlier bought what was actually a bigger plant, which went on to grow considerably and form buds. However, I killed it, probably by overwatering.

Here's the Mutisia from Annie's ($7.50 at the nursery), a couple different views:

A few years ago I bought a Mutisia subulata from Potato-Rock nursery (a mail order nursery that also sells on Ebay). I paid $7.45 for the plant, which bloomed within a year. This is a very different looking plant than Mutisia oligodon--the narrow curling leaves are the plant. It's a vine that climbed maybe 3 feet for me. I had to give it to a friend due to a move.

The sources I know of for Mutisias are Annie's Annuals (M. oligodon and M. subulata), Potato-Rock Nursery (M. subulata) and Chileflora for seeds. Chileflora sells a number of different species (10 at the moment), some occasionally on their Ebay site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mutisia linearifolia at Chileflora (a bizarre/beautiful species)

Comment (1)