Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some pics of my mother's plant collection

Posted by mariava7 z7VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 23:18

Being an avid plant collector in the Philippines for at least 30 years, my mother has acquired so much different plants she can't keep track of their names anymore...lol! I have posted pics of some of her flowering vines last year. Those are only a few of what she has in her garden. Anyway, we would like to share this pictures of some of her plants that she has been taking care and nurturing for years. I have no clue as to what their names are. We hope you would enjoy them as much as we do.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some pics of my mother's plant collection

They are lovely, alright - unusual and healthy. The third one looks like a red-leaf philodendron. If you post a link on the aroid forum, I bet bihai could ID most of them for you if you want IDs.

o

Hi Watergal! I used to run the nursery in the Philippines YEARS ago before I had to migrate here in US. This is how we think they are... first one is a Philodendron, second one is a 'curly bird's nest fern',third one is Philodendron 'Cardinal',fourth one is (I forgot already)like a Crinum as what my mother said, fifth is a Variegated Philodendron, sixth is 'Golden Sellum', seventh is what my mom calls Anthurium 'Renaissance' but she is not sure again today (hehehe). She just said that it could be another Philodendron.

Bihai has ALWAYS been so helpful. My mother and I are so grateful for this forum and people who make this forum alive.

Happy Gardening to all!

o

Oh, wow, incredible and rare beauties! How are you able to keep them so healthy in Virginia? Or are these back with your mom in the Philipines?

Anna

o

Hi Anna! Unfortunately or should I say fortunately they are in the Philippines. They thrive so well there and I'm sure I would not be able to grow them as beautifully here in Virginia unless I have a greenhouse. We use a lot of finely chopped tree fern bark chips mixed in our potting medium there. African Violets, Ferns and Aroids love them.

o

I'm trying to remember why I don't like philos, your mother's are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Suzanne

o

You are very welcome kelpie. There seem to be a wide variety of Philodendrons. I didn't like them that much either until we acquired these varieties that have shorter leaf stalks and grow more compact like a bird's nest. They need lesser if not no need to cutting back the stem to keep them from being lanky.

o

Maria that White and green Philo with the red stem looks like a Stromanthe. Only it has rounder leaves. All her plants look so familiar but I can not ID them. Beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stromanthe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here