Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Is this a flower bud? (strelitzia reginae)

Central_Cali369
15 years ago

One of my Strelitzias is sending out something that doesn't look like a leaf, and i am wondering if it is the awaited flower spike. It's grown at least four inches in two days. Here are a couple of pics:

{{gwi:518910}}

{{gwi:1311653}}

{{gwi:41792}}

Comments (3)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Hi there CC....Looks like twin leaves to me, and big fat juicy healthy ones at that. I hope I'm wrong though!! A useful thing I learnt from GWeb is that new leaves emerge from the sheath of the previous leaf, flower spikes appear from between two other leaves, (like yours *seem* to be doing)and not usually the latest ones plus they have more sheaths over them, not just the slightly spiral line of the leaf edge...hope this explains what I'm trying to say. Here's a pic of my emerging flower spike to help clarify what I'm trying to put into words, it will show you and you can see the growth rate I have here in the UK. I can't wait for it to open. I'm also finding it grows a LOT more slowly than a leaf spear.
    this pic was taken on 23rd April when I first noticed it

this one was taken on 5th June through the g/h window hense the bad reflection

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks greenclaws! I get what you're trying to say. It makes sense. A double leaf huh? Interesting. Is that common?

On another topic, aren't you the one who posts about the washingtonia robustas on the palms forum? If so, how are those faring? i have a couple volunteer seedlings that i've potted up. I'll keep them in pots until i find what to do with them. I get a couple dozen seedlings in my yard every year.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Hi again CC, errrrr, yes 'tis me from the palm forum, and plumeria forum also.
    Firstly, I think and hope they look like 'regular' twins as opposed to 'Siamese' ones, that WOULD be unusual for sure!! I have no idea if this is a regular occurence as I honestly don't know a great deal about BoP's. Maybe it's pushing out 2 leaves as it's well fed and happy? Have always admired them and been somewhat envious of folks that grow them. This was a puny little guy of less than 9inches with sickly yellow leaves that I've nursed back to health from the £1 reject trolley in a DIY store. Taken me several years to get it to around 5ft and now its rewarding me with the promise of flowers.
    My Washy R's are doing well thanks, most have 6 leaves and they are just beginning to divide. Jay's and Topher's have already passed that stage it seems, I need more sun and heat really as the weather here for July is not good, just had thunder and torrential rain...again. They grow real fast, much faster than my other seed sown plams I find. Told to pot on when roots show as they will put on much more growth in bigger pots.
    Regards, Gill.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!