Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert rose - too much sun killed my buds?

Posted by lagoonlyrics 11 - HI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 2:25

Is it possible for a desert rose to get too much sun? I bought a desert rose a week ago. It is about 18" and had one flower and two buds when I bought it. I put it on my patio that gets 3-4 hours of pretty intense afternoon sun. The day after I bought it I came home and the flower had dried up and it dropped off the next day. The two buds darkened and dropped off a few days later. I was told to water it enough to moisten the soil, 2 times a week. What should I be doing to care for his beautiful plant? Less sun? More water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert rose - too much sun killed my buds?

yes it is possible, especially if it was used to being under shade cloth, having filtered light, or partial shade.

its leaves may burn too but new growth will be more tolerant of full sun.

o

In that case, should I give it more shade or leave it in full sun to acclimate?

o

I tend to agree with mango kush..If its not use to direct sun...I would definitely acclimate it slowly over a 10-14 days time frame. I would put in under some trees and slowly give it a couple of hours of morning sun...adding a little longer every couple of days.

Also when the temps are very warm/hot Desert rose prefers to be watered more often, like a tropical plant. I water mine deeply and let the soil almost dry out before I water again, I do have my DR in very porous, fast draining soil-less mix. Less water is given in the cooler winter months which I'm guessing in HI you don't have too much of? Once you see some new growths...give it half strength of soluble all purpose fertilizer...Good luck!

I've had other plants sunburn right after I purchased them when they weren't in full sun at the nursery/store.

o

Hi, Just wanna share my experience growing this plant. I grew a lot of this plant in Indonesia a long time ago. The condition in my hometown is always around 25 - 32C, high humidity, and intense sun light.
I grew it in a pot, partly shaded where it didn't get midday sun when was the hottest, but morning and late afternoon sun (roughly 9 hours under sunlight). Normally, this plant like plenty of sun.
I watered them everyday, just enough till the soil is wet, but not soaked wet. It seemed to love it, in fact the stems were growing bigger like a bottle tree, more younger shoots and leaves grew. It didn't seem to matter what type of soil it grew in, but grew in the dark loamy soil the best. Too much water around the crown of the plant rot part of it, but didn't kill it, then it grew like a bonsai. Responded well with fertilizer, I fed it with high potassium fertilizer, and it flowered profusely, nearly covered the whole plants.
after finished flowering, occasionally I pruned them, and fed it a little with high nitrogen fertilizer. I know that they normally grew itself. However, I found that they produced bigger and healthier bud after it has been pruned.

I haven't had any experience growing it in cooler and drier weather. But, I hope this help. I'm sure you have plenty of warm days in your area.

Tirto

o

Hi all.
Desert rose loves full sun. In the summer you can water every other day between Jun-Oct (I am in Texas). It needs to be inside or in patio during winter and only 1 water per month. But when you water, only a little bit, not to be wet. It needs good drainage soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here