Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena Marginata - Creating new heads

Posted by Scotty0613 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 7:33

I don’t want to cut the tops off, but I would like to get new heads to grow below the tops in different places.

I heard if you cut off a small piece out off the stalk, I will produce another head. Is that true? If so, what is the proper way of doing that?

Thanks,
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena Marginata - Creating new heads

I haven't found any method yet that will cause a trunk to grow a new top without cutting off the existing top(s) first. I have tried piercing the trunk, and snipping a chunk out. Is that what you're talking about? I'm curious also.

o

i don't know if it'll work on dracaena, but it works on trees. it's worth trying.
notch the trunk 1-2" above where you want new bud to form: like for air-layering. cut at 45 degree angle about one third thru. push a very thin piece of plastic in the wound to prevent it from healing and wait. if your trunk is bending a lot, make sure to cut on the 'outside' of the bend, not inside (the lean can cause the wound to open and snap the trunk). do not cover.
if the bud does not form after 1 month - you can take the plastic out - i think the wound will heal. or might bud later on.

or you can try to air-layer the same cut:
take the plastic out of wound, insert a toothpick to keep it open.
take a small 7oz plastic drinking cup, cut vertically and all the way to center bottom, making a small hole in the center bottom.
push onto the trunk below wound, trunk in the hole. fill with damp sphagnum,
cut a small circle from styrofoam or other stiff plastic: cut to center, then make small hole. stuff the lid snugly in the cup, with trunk in the hole. or just wrap with plastic wrap. check from time to time and keep slightly damp. roots should form in a month. may be more. the bud might also form below the cut.
then you cut the rooted top off and plant. the cane might produce sev buds at once too. even if it's just a single cane without any leaves.

o

Thanks, S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here