Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Black Tacca

bihai
17 years ago

I love my Black Tacca. I hear people say all the time that they don't like the black as much as the white because the flowers aren't as showy. Its true the flowers are smaller, but the overall plant is smaller too. I find that mine are always highly visible (another complaint I have heard is that the flowers are droopy and hard to see). I think its because I grow them in very very bright light, probably 80% of full sun.

{{gwi:1311877}}

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Beautiful!

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

hello
    IMO both types are fantastic but in different ways. White is a bit showier but does take up more room.
    Are you familiar with any of the other species or types??
    Was particularly interested in T. palmata,or T borneonsis
    Know anything about them?? Are these actually separate species and how they differ from the black or white??
    gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gary,
    I have only ever seen a photo of one other type, Enid Offolter at Natural Selections Exotics was selling a green form for a while that got very very large (bigger than the Integrifolia). I don't remember the species, but the photos of mature plants that they had were pretty stunning. I wanted one, but knew that at the time I didn't have room.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    According to my search there are at least 10 species and there also seem to be some hybrids. Ranging from under 6 inches to around 6 feet lol.
    I suspect the flowers aren't much or you'd see more of them.
    I'm tempted to try seed but not sure where to locate the rarer types.
    gary

• bailey_09
    17 years ago

bihai, I also love my tacca. I have a 5-6 year old black that blooms almost year round and a 2nd season white that has yet to flower. Both are in very bright shade. What and how often do you fertilize?

Barbara

• aroideana
    17 years ago

Tacca palmata is a very small growing species that goes dormant in winter , very easy to grow . Infloresence is small and green and sets seed easily.
    Tacca leontopetaloides looks like an Amorphophallus , it can get very tall , approx 5' and the infloresence even taller . It can be tricky to grow , needs excellent drainage . I found plants on some of the islands below Sulawesi , and tried to dig up a tuber , gave up after i got 3' deep . They grow all along the coast here in tropical Australia usually in sand .

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think mine seeded the last bloom cycle! There are a ton of little plants popping up around the big one that look suspiciously like little Taccas. Of course, on the times I actually COLLECTED the seed and tried to get it to germinate, no luck. Hope that's what they are...don't think they could be too much else in the controlled greenhouse environment in that exact spot

• gary44
    17 years ago

i am interseted in any tacca plants. i have integrifolia.nivea,and a supposed black one also a green 1 that i cant find name for.
    i keep them all under the orchids on the flor in a saucer of water and sandy soil enriched with horse manure they love it and flower all year round.
    plenty of ferti is the answer, i want more different varieties and will trade.