Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado tree in shock?

Posted by emgarden FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 10:42

Hi all,

We planted an avocado tree on July 5th. The problem was, we planted it too deep (almost 6" too deep) because the directions weren't pointed out to us and we were so excited we did not read the instructions.
About a week later, we noticed it having dying leaves and looking terrible annd the few fruits on it had turned red. I called the place we bought it, someone told me to use root stimulator, so I did. Then last weekend (2 weekends since planting) we stopped back into the nursery we bought it and were told to plant it higher so the root showed a bit and we realized how deep it was. We were also given some sort of food I don't have with me that was supposed to help it grow and told that it was wrong to be told to use root stimulator since its not an established plant.

Its been about 6 days since replanting it and I don't notice much of a difference, good or bad. The tree has many dark or black branches, a number of green leaves and a number of dead or yellow leaves.

One last note, all the other trees/flowers we bought from them are flourishing, so its not really our soil or our practices aside from the original planting issue :-\

How long would it take for this tree to completely come back, being I don't think its totally dead since its got some green leaves.

Thanks... also this is my first post... hoping to use this as a great resource.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado tree in shock?

Hi there-
Baby avocado trees need to be protected from the sun. The black branches you describe are sunburned.
You can do two things:
Rig a shade structure until your tree gets established; or paint the trunk and exposed branches with white latex paint to protect them from sunburn. I did both when I almost killed my baby avocados, and the sunburned branches died, but new branches grew the following spring.

The other thing you should know is that avocados hate having their roots disturbed, and their roots like to be cool and have adequate moisture. Most of the roots are within a foot to two feet from the soil surface, so avocados need deep mulch. You are not supposed to rake up the leaves under them- just leave them to protect the roots from the sun and heat.

I watered my baby avos for two hours, twice a week on drip systems that had about twenty drippers apiece out at the leaf drip line (I'm in hot and dry Socal).

I would not give the tree any food or 'root stimulator' whatever that is. Lots of water, lots of mulch, and shade will make it happy again.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here