Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All-over flowers for dry, rocky soil

Posted by jardin_de_maria 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 11:10

I have a large lot that has horrible rocky soil. After a bit of research (read: googling) I found that a lot of people with rocky soil try to grow meadows with wildflowers. My problem is they do this in a climate that is different from mine, so I don't know what to grow! The soil is rocky and dry but we are about to enter rainy season and it rains A LOT (well, not yet. We are still exiting a drought).
I've read suggestions to check native plants, but we don't have many herbaceous flowering plants. I've seen wedelia naturalized, not really a meadow plant but it has flowers... and some sort of daisy, but when the flowers die they have horrible seeds that just stick all over your clothes when you walk past them.

Basically, I would like to grow flowers there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All-over flowers for dry, rocky soil

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 1:22

You can grow Gaillardia, Perennial Portulaca, Purslane, Gomphrena, Kalanchoes, Ice plants etc etc

They all will require full sun and a little watering initially but once they start growing, very little care is required and you will get blooms throughout the season..

Izhar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here